Dinosaur Chicken! Weird Laying Behavior - Anyone else seen this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HoopyFrood, Mar 23, 2018.

1. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Songster

Mar 21, 2016
    Maine, USA
    My Coop
    Both of our production reds (going on 11 months old, regular layers) really seem to get into a trance like state when they lay. They can spend upwards of two hours in the nest box sometimes! However if you collect their eggs they quickly come out of it and go back to being "regular" chickens.

But one of them is especially bizarre. She puffs up like a blowfish and sticks her bum in the air while resting on her keel. She will stay in that for as long as she's in the nest box, which can be a long time. But the weirdest part is the noises she makes! Like a little dinosaur... we call it "velociraptor mode." She doesn't like to be disturbed and if anyone makes too much noise, opens the nest box, tries to lay on top of her, etc, she makes this creaky primal screech that is actually kinda creepy. But it's also kinda hilarious, too.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

2. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Seems like shes going broody! Aww! That would be my guess. Have any roosters/interest in natural hatching? I always refer to my chickens as little dinosaurs (closest living relatives and all!) :jumpy:jumpy

~M

andreanar and FlyingNunFarm like this.
  3. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    Yeah, most of my chickens do it :lau One of my chickens acts like a velociraptor all the time, which makes it even more interesting :D

FlyingNunFarm and HoopyFrood like this.
  4. Kailey the Animal Lover

Kailey the Animal Lover Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    Sounds like she is going broody for sure!!

The Phantom and Farmer Connie like this.
  5. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Songster

Mar 21, 2016
    Maine, USA
    My Coop
    I'm glad it's not just me! Freakin' weirdos! :love

FlyingNunFarm and FrankieDoodle like this.
  6. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Songster

Mar 21, 2016
    Maine, USA
    My Coop
    I hadn't heard of that as a sign of broodiness before. Interesting. She doesn't show any of the signs that I'm aware of... but I've never looked into it deeply. Something to look more into!

7. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Spending time in the nest, growling when bothered and her posture, breast down butt up, are all broody indicators! LOL, they get fierce.

m1chelle1 likes this.
  8. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    I have a girl that only does that for other hens. She's never been broody. I have a girl that does it only to me. Never been broody either.

The first time it happened I was in the coop doing some cleaning. She puffed up and screamed! My BF came running as he heard it from outside. Asked what on earth was going on. I said I had no idea but if she spit pea soup I was outta there!
    They really are tiny dinosaurs!

m1chelle1 likes this.
  9. Sara Ranch

Sara Ranch Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    My buff opp, Brownie, spends hours in the nesting box. She's a favorite of one of the roosters that I strongly suspect can't finish the mating act. (He's pretty angry about his lack of satisfaction and it comes out in the mating.)

Brownie will open her mouth and will SCREECH, repeatedly, if anyone disturbs her resting.

I had thought she was going broody, but have dismissed that idea. She DOES spend hours in the nesting box, usually sleeping, or in a trancelike state. I suspect she does it to avoid the angry rooster. She also spends HOURS outside, socializing, and avoiding the angry roo.

** Angry roo gets on top of the chicken, pins it down (he doesn't care about the gender of the chicken or the size of the chicken), wiggles and shakes and bounces up and down, then stands still, and then gets off. He's a RIR.

10. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Songster

Mar 21, 2016
    Maine, USA
    My Coop
    Thank you for all the information, everyone! It's so interesting to hear of people's different experiences... Never a dull moment with these critters! If this does develop into a case of broodiness, or she changes her behavior, I will of course update the thread.

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: