Dipping in my toe in Orem Ut

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by livinadream, Mar 19, 2011.

1. livinadream

livinadream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Howdy-
    My name's Maria, and I'm still in the research phase of chicken keeping. Trying to decide if I can handle keeping livestock vs. pets. (I would want to keep chickens for eggs and meat but I'm nervous that I won't be able to raise chickens and then eat them.) I live in the burbs and am looking to get 3-6 chickens, using a chicken tractor to give my girls access to the lawn without being at their mercy to get some kind of harvest from the garden. Any suggestions are welcome, and PLEASE if you live in Orem, UT or close by, I would love to come check out your set up and talk about any wisdom you've picked up raising a small flock of chickens in the burbs.
    Thanks!
    Maria

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG] from South GA! chickens make great pets too [​IMG]
    If you have a garden and chickens, one of them needs a fence, because chickens love to dig [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

I have 3-6 hens in my suburban backyard, but they are for yard art & eggs, so more like pets than meat. Have fun researching

Imp

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from FL

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
  6. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] from Florida.

I understand your quandry about eating your chickens. My hubby is adament .. I can have chickens under two conditions.

1) He will NOT be taking care of the chickens (that will change the minute he meets them... he's a pushover and within a few days they'll be just as spoiled as our two cats and two dogs!)

2) Under NO circumstances will they become a meal....eggs fine, chickens I am to find someone in the area who raises them and buy them already butchered! He's firm in this and truth be told it suits me just fine.

You'll find folks here on both sides... those who consider them pets who come with the benefit of providing some food and those who have no qualms about sending a few to the meat locker. There is never only one path [​IMG]

Good luck and welcome!

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

9. livinadream

livinadream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    thanks for the welcome everyone! I found a low tech way to meet local chicken keepers-hang out around the chicken aisle at the local feed store! [​IMG] on my way to check out a neighbor's set up this afternoon! [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. If you ever get cornish X's meat birds you will then understand why it won't be that hard to eat them. They are only cute for a couple of weeks. After that, all they do is eat and poop. By the time they are 8-10 wks, you are ready for them to be gone, but boy are they delicious and you know what they ate. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by