Direct dosing doxycycline fish powder? Help she’s dying.

Any problem could just as easily be viral, fungal, parasitic, nutritional or environmental.
Where are you located?
What are they fed and what is the calcium treatment?
At what age did you switch the birds to layer feed? (in relation to onset of lay)
I’m in Riverside Southern California. I give them regular laying pellets from a reputable feed store, from about 12 weeks on. They free range on my property. It’s quite verdant here (water bill is sickening) the calcium treatment is a tablet down the hatch. If she doesn’t die I will do that for two weeks. Other chooks are fine and laying swell. I put out oyster shells three days ago.

What % is the ivermectin? Ivermectin is also a very tiny dose. 1% ivermectin dose for your chicken is 2 or 3 drops (probably 2 for a small hen). But if you have a 5% ivermectin, then it is less than 1 drop. It isnt the best dewormer, but if she is having worms now then it will work. You could give the ivermectin see if she is better tomorrow.
Is Corid good? I have that as well. And thank you for helping me. All these meds I bought before there was a problem so I would have them on hand.

Is Corid good? I have that as well. And thank you for helping me. All these meds I bought before there was a problem so I would have them on hand.

With Corid you would have to treat your whole flock. Are you seeing any signs of diarreah in your other hens? Maybe people would recommend it, but i dont know to say yes or no.

How is her weight?

I dont know how are you administering a calcium tablet? She swallowed an entire calcium tab? I think powdering the tablet mixed with food would be safer.

Hopefully your hen pulls through. But based on the broken egg inside, antibiotic is a normal treatment. I think you could do corid, ivermecrin, and antibiotic without any negative interactions. Just the dosages are tiny of the ivermecrin and antibiotic.

If she is isolated, she could be treated woth corid, but you have to remove all the fresh water for 3 days or 5 days, so the whole flock would have to be treated unkess she has a isolated place.

With Corid you would have to treat your whole flock. Are you seeing any signs of diarreah in your other hens? Maybe people would recommend it, but i dont know to say yes or no.

How is her weight?

I dont know how are you administering a calcium tablet? She swallowed an entire calcium tab? I think powdering the tablet mixed with food would be safer.

Hopefully your hen pulls through. But based on the broken egg inside, antibiotic is a normal treatment. I think you could do corid, ivermecrin, and antibiotic without any negative interactions. Just the dosages are tiny of the ivermecrin and antibiotic.

If she is isolated, she could be treated woth corid, but you have to remove all the fresh water for 3 days or 5 days, so the whole flock would have to be treated unkess she has a isolated place.
Wow thanks!!! I’m just going to do that. I have her in the house already. Can you run by me again, the dose for doxy 250mg. Packet.? I would rather direct dose as she is not really thirsty. Yes I gave her the tablet. No problems. She seems excessively lean.

And negative on the rest of the flock. No runny poop. Everyone is great except her.

The dose is 4 mg initial and 2 mg maintenance for direct dose. Based on using 2% of a human 160lb human adult dose. But to measure mg, I can only guess that 5 grains is about 1 mg.

So seperate out 20 grains of the powder as the initial dose. And every 12 hours after it is 1/2 of that.. or 10 grains of the powder per dose every 12 hours.

I assume it is a very fine powder correct?

She’s willfully drinking her doxy water (500 mg in gallon) and I gave her 3 -4 drops ivermectin.
What % is the ivermectin? Ivermectin is also a very tiny dose. 1% ivermectin dose for your chicken is 2 or 3 drops (probably 2 for a small hen). But if you have a 5% ivermectin, then it is less than 1 drop. It isnt the best dewormer, but if she is having worms now then it will work. You could give the ivermectin see if she is better tomorrow.
1% ivermectin

The dose is 4 mg initial and 2 mg maintenance for direct dose. Based on using 2% of a human 160lb human adult dose. But to measure mg, I can only guess that 5 grains is about 1 mg.

So seperate out 20 grains of the powder as the initial dose. And every 12 hours after it is 1/2 of that.. or 10 grains of the powder per dose every 12 hours.

I assume it is a very fine powder correct?
Very fine. One packet is 250 mg.

Here is a picture of a 10 mg scooper to see how tiny the amount is. Maybe the grain estimate is off, some powders are too smooth to count. So you may just guess based on that.
Screenshot_20220101-155000_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom