Directing Heat

Sep 17, 2020
Massachusetts
IMG_20210325_171116.jpg

Using this setup, I am getting temperatures of around 95 in the center and 60 in the area between the ohio brooder (which is currently not finished, I am assuming it will throw off at least 10-15F into the space between) and the hover light. I am not done insulating the coop (or with cable management!), but was wondering if putting a skirt of feed sacks around the perimeter of the hover would be a fire hazard. Joel Salatin recommends doing it in Pastured Poultry Profit$. Has anyone had experience with this?

First of all, this looks super cool and I’m envious of your setup. :)

Second, walk me through your components. I see three different sources of heat. Premier One heat plate, hover, and Ohio Brooder. Is that right?

What’s your temp in the Ohio Brooder?

As long as you’re getting 95 directly under the hover and it’s holding steady, you do not need to make any adjustments like adding a perimeter. That will be perfectly adequate and you want there to be a variation of temperature in the brooding space so that they can get away from the heat if needed.

First of all, this looks super cool and I’m envious of your setup. :)

Second, walk me through your components. I see three different sources of heat. Premier One heat plate, hover, and Ohio Brooder. Is that right?

What’s your temp in the Ohio Brooder?

As long as you’re getting 95 directly under the hover and it’s holding steady, you do not need to make any adjustments like adding a perimeter. That will be perfectly adequate and you want there to be a variation of temperature in the brooding space so that they can get away from the heat if needed.
Thanks! I've put a lot of thought into it.

That's correct; the temp in the Ohio Brooder is between 87-95° measured directly in the center 3" off the litter. I haven't had time to measure closer to the bulbs, but I'm probably going to have to raise it a little higher to let more air circulate so it doesn't go above 100°.

Unde the hover is 87-91°, with the outskirts being 62°. I plan on putting the premier one plate in the outskirts if anyone gets brave and ventures past the heat.

All those temps seem like they'll be okay, especially once the chicks are added and you've got 200 little bodies helping to hold the heat. You'll have to keep an eye on the chicks to see how they act--they will be your most accurate gauge of whether the temperatures are comfortable for them or not.

I haven't used any of those particular heat sources, but I'd just suggest making sure to follow any pertinent guidelines of how far away from the ground/sides of objects you need to keep the heat in order to minimize fire risk. And I know you already said you were still working on the electrical cables--but do take care to keep them away from the heat as well.

All the best to you! I can't wait to see your new chicks! Be sure to post pictures!

Back
Top Bottom