dirt as part compost droppings?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hey All - we got a compost tumbler (divided) because I scoop my poop daily and am tired of throwing it over my fence. The coop has pine chips which i know are brown material, but in our dirt run, a fairly decent amount of dirt comes along for the ride when I scoop. Especially (sorry for gross) the wetter ones where I have to scoop fairly deep to get it all. Can I put all of it in? Each scoop comes with a varying amount of dirt that us usually fairly soiled (pardon the pun) with chicken droppings in some capacity, liquid or solid.

So the question, I get about a half a kitchen garbage bag of poop/dirt each day - can I throw it in there?

Chicken poop is high in nitrogen, using it in compost works well to break down materials fast. One part dirt, poop, leaf litter and small twigs, and plant materials. Should take about 3 to 4 weeks to complete.

Also if you have any yellowing plants or trees, you can use the poop directly on the surrounding area of plants or trees. Water after applying. The poop should be semi soluble for quick intake. It won't burn them.

Back
Top Bottom