Dirt bath

cheraboo

Songster
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Michigan
lol.png

The chickens started with the dust baths a couple of weeks ago. I never even thought about the turkeys taking them but they showed me tonight. They look so goofy
big_smile.png
One of them stood up and shook herself off, creating a huge dirt cloud. They just crack me up.

Our 4 wk. poults starting bathing in the dirt last week too. They are the funniest things to watch, I agree. Today one of them stood up to shake off, and as it walked away a rock half the size of it's head fell out of it's back feathers. Who knows what else they have hiding in there!

That was the first thing our little ones did when we let them play outside for the first time. The moment their feet hit the ground, they started rolling in the dirt!

Ash will help with pest control, It's an old poultry thing to add Ash to the litter and in and around the nest. The small ash particles with it tiny sharp edges will kill some small pest you can't even see.

It's best to mix it with your dust bath dirt, and not full strength.

We have several small feed tubs we fill with dirt and ash. The tube aren't really that big about 10 to 20 inches in diameter, and about 2 to 3 inches deep. The dirt around here has a lot of clay in it so when dry it really fine.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom