Dirt floor in the run?

Dirt is totally fine until you get enough rain and chicken poop built up into it to turn it into the smelliest and muddiest pit ever. I've added a lot of sand, and try to keep it loose and not compacted (it actually holds water for a day if it gets compacted) The sand is pulling moisture from the ground I think, since I haven't seen it dry since the day we bought it. But the odor isn't anything like what it was on the first warm day of February, when the run was 6 months old. It never had more than 6 chickens on it either. I won't even walk in it, not until I get rubber shoes anyways. I have everything by the door for access.

I'm thinking gravel, or a covered roof to keep the sand dry and adding another ton to it. The chickens have it pretty well mixed with dirt and it only takes a couple of days to have it compacted.

I don't think we've had more than a 3 day stretch without any rain. I'm out there all the time it seems like with my little hand tiller stirring it up and burying poo.

I've tried EVERYTHING, and sand is the very best. Plain dirt will get muddy and stinky very quickly, even if you rake it faithfully. Sand drains well, and I think that's why it works so well. Chickens like it too. If you put shavings out, you'll be so sorry....Once it rains they will get so wet and yucky.....Then you have to shovel it all out and then it is very heavy once it's wet......

Oh, another yucky thing about dirt is, when it rains alot (it's been terribly rainy here in Ohio), then your chicken's feet are constantly muddy and your eggs get dirty!
sad.png

Might be a bit of a pain, but if you don't want dirt that might turn into mud, you might try digging out a few inches of the dirt (as if you were going to pour a slab) and replace the dirt with sand.

There seems to be a lot of folks that have, and love, sand runs.

The dirt can become pretty compacted over time. I like to go in and turn the soil with a shovel every couple of weeks to keep it loose. The hens love to dig in it and it absorbs their droppings better.

Back
Top Bottom