Dirt run ground?

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My chickens have their main run which is sand but I have cut down some bushes and raked away ivy and am building them a tunnel to expand their run a bit. So on the outside of the tunnel there is a retaining wall made out of old railway ties. So when it rains the water will easily run off and not stay and muddy up the run. My question is if it’s dangerous to just let them have that ground dirt that I uncovered as their ground and just rake it out and the visible poop out every few weeks or so. OR if I have to worry about any lead poisoning? This area runs near a pool with piping deep under ground and electrical for lights under it too. Is it bad to leave it with that dirt?

Last edited:
You wont have to worry about them being in dirt, I like to put woodchips down to dry the ground out though.
Ok perfect thank you!! And since it’s dirt won’t the poop decompose nicely? And I just rake it everyonce in a while to turn it and get some visible poop out? Since my run now is only sand It doesn’t decompose and I have to sift it weekly so this is new for me. Thank you!!

Ok perfect thank you!! And since it’s dirt won’t the poop decompose nicely? And I just rake it everyonce in a while to turn it and get some visible poop out? Since my run now is only sand It doesn’t decompose and I have to sift it weekly so this is new for me. Thank you!!

Just dirt will decompose some poop but will reach a limit. The composting action with the poop depends on a reaction between the poop and the organic material in the soil. When you run out of organic material for the poop to react with it will start building up and stinking.

This is why people put down litter in the run after the chickens have destroyed all the grass and gotten the dirt, well, dirty. :D

Just dirt will decompose some poop but will reach a limit. The composting action with the poop depends on a reaction between the poop and the organic material in the soil. When you run out of organic material for the poop to react with it will start building up and stinking.

This is why people put down litter in the run after the chickens have destroyed all the grass and gotten the dirt, well, dirty. :D
Oh! Thank you for explaining this! If I rake out the poop weekly will that stop it from becoming too much? I have a fear if I put bedding down it will allow mites to live in it- the tunnel runs near ivy patches which are filled with little chigers- are those bad for chickens? I always figured those are the mites that are bad for them? I’m new to chicken owning so really appreciate the help here! I want the best for my babies!

Last edited:
Oh! Thank you for explaining this! If I rake out the poop weekly will that stop it from becoming too much? I have a fear if I put bedding down it will allow mites to live in it- the tunnel runs near ivy patches which are filled with little chigers- are those bad for chickens? I always figured those are the mites that are bad for them? I’m new to chicken owning so really appreciate the help here! I want the best for my babies!

Feather mites are a specific species of mites that have nothing to do with chiggers. Chickens eat ticks and other such pests. I can't be sure if they'd eat the chiggers or not. :)

If I rake out the poop weekly will that stop it from becoming too much?

You'll have to try it and see how it goes, frequency of cleaning varies from set up to set up for a variety of reasons. If once a week isn't enough then increase frequency and see if that helps. I remove obvious surface poops daily but this is in a deep litter set up, not bare soil (which around here would become mud).

Feather mites are a specific species of mites that have nothing to do with chiggers.
Agrees, just wanted to point out......
Poultry Mites, feather mites being only one type and less common than Northern Fowl mites(live on the birds), and Red roost mites(live in the structure and feed on birds at night).

I have to sift it weekly so this is new for me.

If you don't want to sift poops.....go with wood chips:
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Back
Top Bottom