Dirty bottoms

Sounds like a sneeze or cough. Have you looked inside the beak and throat with a flash light for any mucus or yellow gunk? Sneezing can occur if they get something in the nostrils or throat that irritates them. The way she is opening her beak looks like she may have some mucus coming from her sinuses. I would watch for any watery/bubbly eyes, nasal drainage, or swelling around either eye. Corid should not have caused this unless you tried to force her to drink.

I added the Corid to their water so it sounds like that wouldn’t be the cause. I’ll look for mucus. The one who had the worst vent issues seems better from the Corid but now this other lady is acting up! Always something with these girls. We have also had some major temperature swings - went from 50 to 80s and now in the 70s.

Chickens will sometimes sneeze or have stridor when they are eating and get a small piece of feed stuck in the nostril or airway. How is the ventilation there? Any ammonia fumes from droppings inside the coop?

It’s an open are run and the coop has vents and 2 windows. I think I may have over reacted as she doesn’t have any mucus and now stopped. Probably something stuck in her throat that’s now gone. I was worried the Corid may have caused a reaction. I’ll keep monitoring. Thanks for following up!

Did you see my question about the bullying and my speckled Sussex having broken back feathers? The others all look fine so I’m not sure why she’s being picked on and then prefers to hang out with the bully hen.

Back
Top Bottom