Dirty bottoms

Hello, it looks like this is an old thread, but could still use some advice? I'm a new chicken owner and need help....I have a year old ameraucana with a nasty butt. It looks like a crime scene. I just got her 2 days ago from a very good friend, so she really doesn't know me very well. She is a bit under stress I think from the change, so she has had a bit of diarrhea, she has my buff Orpington as a companion and they are doing great. Well. I just went out to clip her feathers as I've done with my others and holy crap. She got scared, flew up against the coop and flew into my head! Seriously scared us both. I quickly looked around to see if anyone was watching because it had to look hysterical. She is a big chicken and could do some damage to herself if she got scared. I cannot imagine trying this again at least for awhile until she becomes more comfortable.her vent doesn't appear to be blocked, but it's just nasty down there. It is ok to leave as is? I wouldn't normally ever do this, but in a case like this, what can you do? I hear flies and maggots can be a problem. They don't free range. They are kept in a very nice clean large coop with a run. I'm thinking and hoping she will be fine. I mean, I'm telling myself that there are people with chickens that just have them and don't think twice about this stuff, and their chickens are fine. It's just that mine are pets and I check them everyday. Thank you, shannon

I would def clean it so it doesn't block her vent. Warm water, maybe a bit of dawn dish soap. She prob won't like it but I would make her, get another person to help you. Maybe a towel over her head will help her stay calmer.

She needs to be cleaned up ASAP. In warm weather manure draws flies who will lay eggs......which will quickly hatch into maggots.......this is called fly strike......the maggots will eat their way into the abdominal cavity of your hen.

Not a good situation for you or the hen, IF you notice it soon enough to help her.

When my hens get poopy butts, I clean them up and worm the entire flock. If she is the first one to get poopy butt the next time, she gets a one-way ticket to freezer camp.

I was given a Roo with a dirty bottom. I soaked him in Epsom salt this morning and cut away all the poop on his feathers. He had no fluff, just hard quil like tail feathers. The reason why I took him was so I could butcher him as he is just 5 months old but very large. His droppings look normal, other than the red butt and messy feathers he seems fine..good color on the comb, was grazing.. After the soak his bottom was no longer red.

I plan on butchering him today... should I wait? He was wormed 2 weeks ago so it cannot be that. The person who gave it to me had been away for 2 weeks and the person taking care of them had not noticed.

TIA

He could have diarrhea from just the stress of being moved, or yes, from being wormed.

His bottom was likely red from ammonia burn, which is what happens when poo is left sitting on the skin. I'd imagine the Epsom salt soak gave him quite a bit of relief.

*Personally* I would wait a bit to butcher him. Not because of his poppy bottom, but because of residual wormer in his system. I know the bottle and everyone says 2 weeks is the magic number, but *I* wouldn't be comfortable with it. If it isn't a concern for you, go ahead and do the deed. His dirty butt is clean now, but even if it weren't, you would clean the carcass anyway.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom