How long does it take for feathers to regrow?

emilyweir

Chirping
Jul 19, 2022
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello! I have got a French Copper Black Marans who is about a year old now and was the victim of some trauma from change and bullying, she looks awful and I’m wondering how long it will take for her feathers to regrow and for her to look beautiful again?
For context (I’ll try to keep it brief):
We were living out of state for 5 months and during that time the family we had caring for our hens did a subpar job. We come home to a dirty, disgusting coop/run. Immediately I began the process of cleaning things up but ultimately it took about two and a half weeks to get completely clean. In the mean time the girls got their feed switched up (which had happened a separate time just before we got home) due to availability issues. While trying to clean out the coop we gave the girls as much time in the yard as we could but ultimately it was never going to be a long term deal and I think that made them mad. I think all these factors put my girls under a bit of stress and they were all pecking each other (except the most dominant hen, she’s still looking lovely). I have checked multiple times for mites and parasites and they’ve been clean every time. I have put pinless peepers on them all, upped the protein in their feed to try to help, and make my presence more common in the coop to try to reinforce that I’m the one in charge and behavior is really looking up, but my Marans who was at the bottom of the pecking order truly looks awful and I would love to know how long to expect her to look this way.

Attachments

• 6FE1715C-3D56-4099-BB8A-04B84DF39A1A.jpeg
    6FE1715C-3D56-4099-BB8A-04B84DF39A1A.jpeg
    924.7 KB · Views: 113

Back
Top Bottom