Dirty bums

proudmommie31

Songster
Mar 2, 2016
Northern Lower MI
I’ve noticed lately a few of my hens have dirty bum feathers. I did a vent check and no signs of anything other than apparently not being able to get the feathers out of the way when pooing. It’s freezing so running around with wet washed bums isn’t a great idea. Can I just trim all around the vent area?

I guess the answer to the question depends on just how soiled those bums are.

If they aren't dirty all the way down to the skin I would do a trim.
If they are soiled all the way down to the skin a wash, dry and trim would be in order. Just gotta get them good and dry before going back out.

I am sure others will chime in before long.

Trimming works, had 5 Wynadottes with messy butt feathers, they looked terrible but it worked. Depending on how bad, you could just "crush" the dry stuff off. You could wash their butt feather area, then blow dry. Have done that too & it works, wrap them in a towel securely when blow drying, my BO enjoyed it.

Have they always had messy bums?

Trimming works, had 5 Wynadottes with messy butt feathers, they looked terrible but it worked. Depending on how bad, you could just "crush" the dry stuff off. You could wash their butt feather area, then blow dry. Have done that too & it works, wrap them in a towel securely when blow drying, my BO enjoyed it.

Have they always had messy bums?
No not til this coldest part of winter here. They are new pullets, not even a year old. New layers. The messy ones have so much butt fluff its insane lol. Twice as much as the others. The light Brahma and golden laced Wyandotte's are the offenders. The Brahma isn't even messy by the vent but on the lower fuzz part. I picked them up and checked and then did it again at night on the roost, no redness no lice/mites signs just messy fuzz

Yup, I have 4Buffs & love the fluffy butts :love Have had to wash one & the rest sometimes have a dribble but nothing serious. When I had the 5 Blue Wyandottes, oh my goodness, I had to do trimming but soon learned less treats (veggies & fruits) the cleaner they stayed :rolleyes: I've really cut back on treats with the BOs, they get fermented feed and at close up they get 1/8 cup BOSS & 1/8 cup mealworms.

Yes, trim the dingle-berry holding feathers to about 1/2" from skin.
Waned to add.....if it's loose poops might need, yes....
soon learned less treats (veggies & fruits) the cleaner they stayed

...and they should be able to preen off minor stickage,
but if it's bigger stuff, trimming is in order.

I find trimming my cochin's bum is a lot easier than bathing her as long as the poop isn't affecting large areas. She's white, and seeing that icky stuff on her otherwise pristine physique drives me bonkers! I have super sharp scissors I use solely for that purpose and a pair of gloves. I get her when she's on the roost. It's especially easy if she's sleeping facing the coop wall. Doesn't even wake her up.

Back
Top Bottom