Dirty butt....not sure if it's poop? PIC

Quote:
Do you mean Dry Stall? If so, go to their website and find a store locater. I find it hard to believe it would be lice or mites in winter in Indiana.......but I'm no expert.

Is she moulting?

Mary

Great. Thanks for the help! I'll go looking tomorrow and hopefully this will fix her.
fl.gif

No, she is not molting.

I'm not really sure it's mites, but I'm willing to give it a try. She has had these things on her butt for at least a month so I'm clueless!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I will keep you posted! I have Sevin on hand, but it's the kind you hook up to the garden hose. I don't think she would forgive me if I used that. Lol!
I hope Lowes is open tomorrow!

In a pinch you can spray her with Adams flea and tick spray. Get under the feathers and especially around the vent and the lice eggs. You should be able to find this anywhere that sells dog/cat stuff.

Mites don't leave the eggs on the feathers. They hide in the coup during the day and come out at night to find the birds to feast on. If you have mites you have to dust/spray the house getting every crack. Replace the bedding and dust the new bedding to prevent reinfestation.

Lice live their entire life cycle on the birds themselves. If you find eggs then you have or have had lice. You need to spray, dust, or dip the birds. Remove any eggs sacks you can find. If you can't get the eggs off the feathers, then you will have to cut the feather off below the eggs.

Repeat treatment at 7-10 days to get any lingering eggs that may have hatched.

Matt

Quote:
Would the eggs still be there? She has had this problem for over a month now. Also I can't cut the feathers off below the eggs or whatever this is. They are at the base of the feathers, right up against her skin.

Quote:
Lice just keep laying eggs on the old hatched eggs, building up the egg balls. The blasted things are like concrete. The egg balls can get fairly large if the lice are not killed. Any eggs that you cannot get off need to be soaked with spray and then again at 7-10 days. If you can't get them off at least you can kill them.

After a few weeks, the dead eggs should be dried enough to crush off.

Burn the eggs you do get off.

Matt

Quote:
Lice just keep laying eggs on the old hatched eggs, building up the egg balls. The blasted things are like concrete. The egg balls can get fairly large if the lice are not killed. Any eggs that you cannot get off need to be soaked with spray and then again at 7-10 days. If you can't get them off at least you can kill them.

After a few weeks, the dead eggs should be dried enough to crush off.

Burn the eggs you do get off.

Matt

I'm guessing Sevin dust will work on lice too? I think I'll be calling the vet if these things don't come off on their own. I am really not up to being up close and personal with my chicken's butt for that long
sickbyc.gif

Do I have to treat the other chicken for lice too even if she doesn't have the problem?

Back
Top Bottom