Dirty C-Xs embarassed to bring to Butcher

He gets paid to process those Godzilla chickens. Don't worry about it. All that matters is how good they will taste after all your hard work.
smile.png

I process my own and yes they do get nasty at times, but that is the reality with the Cornish X's.

I'm just convinced that Cornish Crosses are not related to anything in the chicken family and that their feathers are just meant to fool us into thinking they really are birds. They are feathered pigs. I had such a good time watching my layers grow up and watch them act like chickens.

My cornish crosses are the exact opposite. It's like watching a kindergarten class of morbidly obese todlers who just lay around all day and bed down right by the feeder. They only move if they need to go to the waterer. They are the Jabba the Huts of the chicken world. They don't even stand all the way up to poop anymore. I think the only way to keep these birds clean would be to raise them on wire floor so the poop falls through. Regardless, I see about 5 poops in the first 3 minutes from my 24 cornish crosses when I check on them. They sleep with their heads right under another chick's vent and don't seem the least bit out of sorts when the inevitable happens right on their faces. Disgusting. And here I was worried about getting attached to them and not being able to carry through with the slaughter. No worries now. I can't wait for processing day.

Not to say that it's not worth it to raise your own meat birds, it was just a rude awakening to what cornish crosses were all about. Don't worry about dirty birds. There's nothing you can do to prevent it. It's not your fault. That's just the way they are wired. They really are just feathered pigs.

I'm just glad I can go out and watch my girls free range cause that, to me, is what I initially expected from all chickens.

Dan

Cornish x are dirty birds. Thats why people can follow through on getting them proccessed. I'd say probably nine out of ten people send dirty birds to freezer camp. Don't be embarassed.

Back
Top Bottom