Dirty duck eggs

tinakevin

Songster
Nov 1, 2015
New hampahire
Hi all I have decided to try my hands at ducks. My question is this. I got 6 duck eggs from my neighbor to put under my hen. The eggs are dirty. Do I keep them like that or do I clean them somehow.

You can try to “dry” clean them. You can use a scouring pad or a dry paper towel and try to buff some of the dirt off. Sometimes I use a very small flat head screwdriver if an area has really thick gunk on it and scrap it off, then buff the area with a dry paper towel. Duck eggs can get pretty dirty. You want to keep the “bloom” on the egg. But I also know people that wash eggs with soap and water before setting them. That will take the bloom off, which is there to prevent bacteria from entering the egg. So it’s more of a personal choice.

You can try to “dry” clean them. You can use a scouring pad or a dry paper towel and try to buff some of the dirt off. Sometimes I use a very small flat head screwdriver if an area has really thick gunk on it and scrap it off, then buff the area with a dry paper towel. Duck eggs can get pretty dirty. You want to keep the “bloom” on the egg. But I also know people that wash eggs with soap and water before setting them. That will take the bloom off, which is there to prevent bacteria from entering the egg. So it’s more of a personal choice.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom