Dirty eggs

If you are having trouble with dirty eggs then maybe try worming your birds? I use pumpkin seeds and also cucumbers which help as well. I also use eprinex cattle drench and put a dot on the back of their neck and a Dot on their butt. It works wonders. Also invest in some dietamatius earth! Add to food and dust the coop floor. Birds having worms can cause dirty eggs but it’s a simple fix!

If you are having trouble with dirty eggs then maybe try worming your birds? I use pumpkin seeds and also cucumbers which help as well. I also use eprinex cattle drench and put a dot on the back of their neck and a Dot on their butt. It works wonders. Also invest in some dietamatius earth! Add to food and dust the coop floor. Birds having worms can cause dirty eggs but it’s a simple fix!
Thank you. I will try this. It’s only then Speckled eggs that seem to be a problem.

It is an old wives tale that internal parasites cause dirty eggs. This simply is not true. Dirty eggs occur when:

a hen forgets to wipe the poo off her feet before stepping into the nest.

She has a dingleberry hanging off her butt b/c she's had a lot of high moisture veggies, or she has a particularly well feathered tush.

a hen poops in the nest.

it's a wet sloppy muddy day.

The hen's cloaca does not invert to seal off the intestine as the egg is laid.

DE does not prevent or control internal or external parasite infestations. However, it is helpful in the garden and to keep feed free of grain mites.

When I am getting ready to collect hatching eggs, I put my birds on multi vits, and beef up their protein a bit for 2 weeks. Then, before collecting, I lay extra bedding in the coop and run, and pray for dry weather!

X2 - I usually supplement with vitamins and extra protein (scrambled eggs) for a couple of weeks prior to collecting hatching eggs. This is especially important when collecting hatching eggs during the winter months, when snow cover keeps them from free ranging and having access to lots of wild leafy greens and insects.

Back
Top Bottom