dirty eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lincolnsilkies, Feb 4, 2012.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Quick question for ya all i got some wyandotte eggs today and some of them are really dirty can a clean them off or not the reason i want to know is i have some other eggs in the incubator and i dont want them to harm those eggs or the other wyandotte eggs?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    sorry in cant help much but i know that i wouldnt wash them but just gentlly wipe them off the best i could then put them in the bator its worked for me but then again this is only my 3rd and the easter hatch will be my 4th (hoping i can get some duck eggs in for that maybe :)

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    If you make sure the water is warm not hot or cold and just carefully rinse them off without scrubbing them with a scratchy they should be okay. The main thing is you don't want to scrub them because it removes the bloom from the egg and makes it more susceptible to bacteria

4. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you both!!!

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If you wash them, do a google search. Do NOT use cold water. Use hot water.

6. Fly Fisher

Fly Fisher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I wash all my dirty eggs because I amost always have multiple hatches going and my batosr runs constantly. .I use warm water and a soft wash cloth. When I first started I put a W on every egg I washed to compare the washed eggs to those that were collected clean. I have not seen any difference in hatch rate between washed and not washed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by