chix4lyfe

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
hi! I have a polish chicken and it has been very rain the past couple days. Her afro is getting pretty muddy and it look kind of heavy for her. It's making it even harder for her to see as well. I will put a picture of her up. Is there anything I should do or should I just leave her?
3948B857-344C-415F-97B4-42E1C152C5F1.jpeg

ILoveDaffy

Songster
Aug 16, 2020
Give a bath in warm water filled just to the middle of her chest, you can use baby or dog shampoo, and a tooth brush, gently massage her with your fingers, and use the tooth brush on her neck. Keep the soapy water away from her beak and eyes. Oddly enough, most chickens love the hair dryer, so you can use that to dry her. Use the low setting, then you can cut her fluff at the top.

chix4lyfe

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
Give a bath in warm water filled just to the middle of her chest, you can use baby or dog shampoo, and a tooth brush, gently massage her with your fingers, and use the tooth brush on her neck. Keep the soapy water away from her beak and eyes. Oddly enough, most chickens love the hair dryer, so you can use that to dry her. Use the low setting, then you can cut her fluff at the top.
its still going to be muddy for a bit longer so should I wait for a day or two so it doesn't get dirty again?

21hens-incharge

Nuttier than a squirrels stash
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
its still going to be muddy for a bit longer so should I wait for a day or two so it doesn't get dirty again?
If she is not completely covered in mud a bath this time of year is not a great idea.

Trimming her head floof will give immediate help. The floof WILL grow back by the way.

Top Bottom