Disabled Chickens Forum

Good idea. I had two pullets with lameness issues this past spring and was disappointed by the lack of information out there. There’s a need for better prosthetics and temporary bracing devices, too.
There certainly is a need. I also need an animal trainer to round this 6 pound duck up. I haven't found any avian vets and I couldn't get her in there if I could. Anybody found an virtual online duck vet? I tried Vitamin B, I have increased her Rooster Booster Poultry Supplement but nothing is helping her. I think it was that blasted drake because she's the only one with the problem. I feed them Dumor so I would think if it was a vitamin deficiency others would have it. I just feel so helpless.

There certainly is a need. I also need an animal trainer to round this 6 pound duck up. I haven't found any avian vets and I couldn't get her in there if I could. Anybody found an virtual online duck vet? I tried Vitamin B, I have increased her Rooster Booster Poultry Supplement but nothing is helping her. I think it was that blasted drake because she's the only one with the problem. I feed them Dumor so I would think if it was a vitamin deficiency others would have it. I just feel so helpless.
You just brought up a great idea...many of us do not have access to avian vets. I discovered a little trick...I call veterinary practices that have added new grads - they are more willing to see chickens. Back to the topic....so, online avian vets are hit and miss. We should have a place where we can make recommendations for those that are actually good.

I borrowed this from another thread (thank you @Sally PB )
Lately I find myself avoiding byc more and more because so many people are rude to our fellow members. We can disagree with others without being rude and condescending.
Screenshot_20230818_152022_Chrome.jpg

Lately I find myself avoiding byc more and more because so many people are rude to our fellow members. We can disagree with others without being rude and condescending.

Unfortunately I think it's just a sign of our times, because it's not just here, but everywhere online these days. People are becoming ever more hypersensitive and overly combative towards others who express any difference of opinion.
IMO disagreement is normal, natural and healthy as long as people can remember to mind their manners and realize that their way is not the only way. :)

Unfortunately I think it's just a sign of our times, because it's not just here, but everywhere online these days. People are becoming ever more hypersensitive and overly combative towards others who express any difference of opinion.
IMO disagreement is normal, natural and healthy as long as people can remember to mind their manners and realize that their way is not the only way. :)
Well said.

I am late to the party, but a place we can go specifically for help with discussing disabled chickens would be immensely helpful. Like OP, I've spent hours and hours every day trying to find any scraps of information I can.

While I understand why the decision to not have a specific subforum was made, I hope it will be reconsidered in time. The term disabled covers a very huge and diverse array of issues that I don't think can be adequately addressed in a megathread. Maybe if this was more akin to Reddit, where comment chains function as self-contained threads within a megathread, but with the way this forum is set up I think a subforum would be more intuitive for members to understand and access.

Additionally, I find it a lot more helpful to be able to ask questions to and discuss the difficulties of raising a chicken with disabilities amongst people who understand what you're going through and what it takes. In my experience with just trying to discuss my own human disabilities, you are much more likely to get actual help and develop much-needed community with those who are familiar with disabilities themselves, rather than trying to discuss/get help for said disabilities in the standard subforums which are majority populated by the non-disabled.

I am late to the party, but a place we can go specifically for help with discussing disabled chickens would be immensely helpful. Like OP, I've spent hours and hours every day trying to find any scraps of information I can.

While I understand why the decision to not have a specific subforum was made, I hope it will be reconsidered in time. The term disabled covers a very huge and diverse array of issues that I don't think can be adequately addressed in a megathread. Maybe if this was more akin to Reddit, where comment chains function as self-contained threads within a megathread, but with the way this forum is set up I think a subforum would be more intuitive for members to understand and access.

Additionally, I find it a lot more helpful to be able to ask questions to and discuss the difficulties of raising a chicken with disabilities amongst people who understand what you're going through and what it takes. In my experience with just trying to discuss my own human disabilities, you are much more likely to get actual help and develop much-needed community with those who are familiar with disabilities themselves, rather than trying to discuss/get help for said disabilities in the standard subforums which are majority populated by the non-disabled.
Well said

Very well said indeed! I agree, I’m more likely to ask someone about handicapped chicken help from someone who has handicapped chicken experience vs someone who has chickens in perfect health and good shape. Because they would know what your going through.

I remember when I first got my disabled boy, I had no help on making a splint for him. (he has a twisted leg, it’s something non reversible) Nobody on here was really able to help, I had to go to an actual physical therapist to get an idea of what to do.

Back
Top Bottom