Disabled Pigeon

FlyBoeingAircraft

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2019
Back in April, one of my hens had two of her eggs hatch and one of her squabs turned out to be a healthy regular ol' pigeon who loved to fly around my house, picture here, however I noticed that its sibling was not. It looked a lot younger and I later noticed that one of legs was bent forward while the other was bent backwards. It can't fly and is pretty helpless making it a potential target for a lot of the stray cats in the area.

Here are some pictures of said pigeon:
https://imgur.com/a/0UZGuzo

I'd just like to know what to do to the poor thing. Take him to the vet? Take him indoors? Bandage him up? Thank you!

Back in April, one of my hens had two of her eggs hatch and one of her squabs turned out to be a healthy regular ol' pigeon who loved to fly around my house, picture here, however I noticed that its sibling was not. It looked a lot younger and I later noticed that one of legs was bent forward while the other was bent backwards. It can't fly and is pretty helpless making it a potential target for a lot of the stray cats in the area.

Here are some pictures of said pigeon:
https://imgur.com/a/0UZGuzo

I'd just like to know what to do to the poor thing. Take him to the vet? Take him indoors? Bandage him up? Thank you!
this appears to be a VERY serious splayed leg... at this age, I do not think it can be treated to fix it 100 %. I personally, though i would hate to do it, would euthanize the bird. :(

@biophiliac ?

It needs to be brought inside. It is too disabled to survive outside even under human care but could have decent quality of life with the right owner as a pet bird. Where are you located? There are not many pet pigeon rescues but they do exist.

Agree with all of the above. Too late to cure the condition now. A pet bird rescue as @Serin mentioned is the best chance for him. I think @Hokum Coco has a bird with the legs connected with a band permanently as it was not treated in time ... so he wears the 'shackles' as a brace to keep the legs close together with enough slack to permit steps. I'm not sure if that would work for yours... Good luck!:hugs

this appears to be a VERY serious splayed leg... at this age, I do not think it can be treated to fix it 100 %. I personally, though i would hate to do it, would euthanize the bird. :(

@biophiliac ?
I agree with you. But now that I know about the bird rescue in Chicago, I'd want to pay the cost to ship if they would take him. I myself would not be able to give this guy a good quality of life.

I agree with you. But now that I know about the bird rescue in Chicago, I'd want to pay the cost to ship if they would take him. I myself would not be able to give this guy a good quality of life.
Yeah, that is very true. I'm glad there's such a thing. :)
Can she walk or flop around at all? I'd think she could fly even with a bad leg... not necessarily across town but from one spot in the yard to another?
good point. If it cant fly, are we talking possible brain damage?

We need more information, the bird has badly splayed legs but if it has survived three months this way (and looks good besides the legs) it must be getting around somehow.

Back
Top Bottom