Disabled Pigeon

Hello all! I thank you all for your replies. To address a couple of things,
1. I live near Sacramento, CA and the nearest pigeon rescue is Palomacy in San Francisco, which is a 2-3 hour drive depending on the traffic, although I would happily make the trip if it assures the poor thing a better life.
2. She can't really walk, but is able to sort of rotate her way around a small section of the yard and is able to flap her wings.

Thank you all for your concern about my birds! I hope to get back to y'all soon.

I am iffy on Palomacy's views because they are against breeding birds and opposed to pet keeping in general (viewing keeping rescue animals captive as a necessary evil) but they do help out birds that otherwise nobody would help, if you could get her there she stands the best chance.

I am iffy on Palomacy's views because they are against breeding birds and opposed to pet keeping in general (viewing keeping rescue animals captive as a necessary evil) but they do help out birds that otherwise nobody would help, if you could get her there she stands the best chance.
Ask Olive and Rowan if they care what Palmacy thinks about them breeding?
:lau. :oops:

I think @Hokum Coco has a bird with the legs connected with a band permanently
You are right backyard buddy. The bird completed it's training and had good homing instincts. It was about 6 months old and just about ready to have a mate when it did not return from a loft release.
It did get around well.
It
had a normal existence and a good quality of life for the time it had.

You are right backyard buddy. The bird completed it's training and had good homing instincts. It was about 6 months old and just about ready to have a mate when it did not return from a loft release.
It did get around well.
It
had a normal existence and a good quality of life for the time it had.
Looking at the OP's bird, do you think that. could work for it?

QbGrSU7g.jpg

I dont agree with what you say about polamacy serin... Yes, they don't like\encourage breeding, but I think they are all for pet keeping! If they werent, why would they have the place like they do? Wouldn't they just euthanize all the birds?

I would highly recommend for the OP to give his\her bird to polamcy...

I dont agree with what you say about polamacy serin... Yes, they don't like\encourage breeding, but I think they are all for pet keeping! If they werent, why would they have the place like they do? Wouldn't they just euthanize all the birds?

I would highly recommend for the OP to give his\her bird to polamcy...

I do too. It will be taken care of, and if there is no hope for it they will make that call, though I think it could be accommodated, I know someone with a parrot with a similar leg situation.

I've just spoken to the people who started the organization and they're against all animal exploitation. Not just eating meat, but keeping pet birds. They consider it a necessary evil to care for domestic birds that have been bred to where they lost their wild instincts but will vilify you if you allow your birds to raise chicks, citing an overpopulation crisis. My view is that there will always be bird breeding, and that keeping pets is fine if you treat the animals well. Their practice of discouraging all breeding only discourages the people who would be responsible about it, while irresponsible breeders will continue on as they always have. Especially since Palomacy rescues largely lost/escaped king pigeons, which are raised en masse for consumption in that part of the country regardless. The hobby breeder is NOT the issue at hand.

But they do provide medical care and help to the birds. So I would not discourage supporting them. I just don't like their ideology.

I do too. It will be taken care of, and if there is no hope for it they will make that call, though I think it could be accommodated, I know someone with a parrot with a similar leg situation.

I've just spoken to the people who started the organization and they're against all animal exploitation. Not just eating meat, but keeping pet birds. They consider it a necessary evil to care for domestic birds that have been bred to where they lost their wild instincts but will vilify you if you allow your birds to raise chicks, citing an overpopulation crisis. My view is that there will always be bird breeding, and that keeping pets is fine if you treat the animals well. Their practice of discouraging all breeding only discourages the people who would be responsible about it, while irresponsible breeders will continue on as they always have. Especially since Palomacy rescues largely lost/escaped king pigeons, which are raised en masse for consumption in that part of the country regardless. The hobby breeder is NOT the issue at hand.

But they do provide medical care and help to the birds. So I would not discourage supporting them. I just don't like their ideology.
Huh... I didn't know about that. That's sad about them not supporting pet keeping. Thanks for the info serin!

Hey all! Thank you all for your replies, I just wanted to give you a little update on the situation. I woke up today and unfortunately I found him dead near where he usually sits. I'm not too sure why, although he could have been bleeding from scraping his wings against the ground so much. I feel pretty sad for him, but at least he got taken out of his misery... :(

Anyways, I do thank you all for caring so much about the poor bird, and may he rest in piece.

Back
Top Bottom