Disadvantages of raising white feathered chickens?

ISSOLA

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
North Shore, MA
I have surmised that some of you (long-standings BYCers, and chicken experts who have experienced and raised different breeds) have decided not to pursue raising white feathered chickens such as delawares, light brahmas, white wyandottes, etcetc.

May I inquire why?

Do the white feathers turn yellow? Is it hard for them to look decent? Do they look "dirt-laden" within the flock?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers!

My WLH, Silver Lakenvelders and RIW are beautiful until it rains-they remind me of a white car, you just can't hide the dirt!
smile.png

i think that not getting white chickens is just a color preference like getting bluff isntead of blue or something i dont think it has a thing to do with them looking dirty they arent cars or houses lol

Last edited:
Well yes they are harder to keep clean looking. Anything that gets on the feathers shows but there are advantages to raising white or light colored chickens as well. Especially if you are raising them for meat since dark feathered varieties don't look as well dressed out. I don't choose my hens on the basis of feather coloring though, maybe someone else can shed more light on the topic.

It seems the first chickens to be attacked by predators seem to be my white ones. Be is hawks in the daytime or coons/possums at night, the white ones show up better for them. Saying that, my leghorns are the best, most consistent layers I have.

Dirty Looking Fast!

I told the kids we won't ever have another white chicken, after Joey, because she is like having a white carpet in a house with kids. Everything shows up and looks dirty so much faster. When she has had a bath, it only takes a couple of days for her to look dirty again. Since ours our pets, it does matter a little bit. If they were out ranging around a giant chicken run on the back of a big property, it might not be important.

I worry about my Leghorn with the hawks too. Joey has had a couple close calls with a prairie falcon.

They are much more visible to predators. (except when it snows
lol.png
) Black, brown and dark colored chickens blend in better with their surroundings.

I don't choose my chickens based on coloring, but my light brahma does always look dirty. She loves her dust baths.

I love my little Rhode Island White!!!!

She never seems dirty, even when its muddy. Chickens, like all birds, have a natural obsession with keeping there feathers PERFECT. Always preening and takin dust baths.All for the cause.

easttxchick- It's cool to see someone eles with some RIWs. They seem to be a pretty rare breed.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know, right. Mine is just the funniest little thing-she is only 3 months old and she is a pistol! Only have the one, but I love her(her name is Blanca just FYI).

Back
Top Bottom