Disapointed with TSC Nutreena offerings...Vent

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bkreugar, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Some here may remember I have a 21yr old retired mare with a big fat arthritic knee. She is a VERY hard keeper and requires a high fat content in the feed to keep her in decent (not fat) weight.

I had fed Nutreena xtn at one point because it has the highest fat content available on the market. But to get it I had to drive 27 miles one way to the feed store that would carry it. So if she goes thru a bad spell of turning up her nose at her senior or was looking a little thin, I would get the XTN.

So I was thrilled when I saw TSC was going to carry Nutreena.Just looked at what htye were carrrying,XTN isn't there. In fact I just perused the nutreena and Purina feeds they will offer.Highest fat I can find is 7% which is NOT enough and their senior is only 6% fat.

So I will still have to but Southern states senior with 9% fat and beet pulp already in it.WHY does no one get that OLD hard to keep horses need a high fat??? So i am not impressed with the new offerings!

Thanks for listening and yes I know I can top dress whatever I feed with corn oil.I do that already.

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Do TSC carry Ultium? It's 12.4% fat. We haven't had a horse resist it and they look wonderful on it.

http://www.ultium.com/

Crude Protein [min]............................. 11.7%
    Crude Fat [min]............................. 12.4%
    Crude Fiber [max]............................ 18.5%
    Calcium [Ca] [min]............................. 0.85%
    Calcium [Ca] [max]............................. 1.00%
    Phosphorus [P] [min]............................. 0.500%
    Copper [Cu] [min]............................. 65.00 ppm
    Selenium [Se] [min]............................. 0.500 ppm
    Selenium [Se] [max]............................. 0.600 ppm
    Zinc [Zn] [min]............................. 240 ppm
    Vitamin A [min]............................. 5000.00 iu/lb

INGREDIENTS:
    Wheat Middlings, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Ground Soybean Hulls, Cane Molasses, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Beet Pulp, Vegetable Oil, Oat Hulls, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, DL-methionine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Citric Acid, L-Lysine, Dried Whey Solubles, Choline Chloride, Iron Oxide, DL-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Propionic Acid (A Preservative), Sorbitan Monostearate, Anise Flavor, Fenugreek Flavor, Calcium Pantothenate, Tocopherols (A Preservative), Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Nicotinic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, L Tryptophan, L Threonine, Calcium Iodate, Magnesium Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Ferrous Carbonate, Cholecalciferol, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite.

Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal Free.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    So I was thrilled when I saw TSC was going to carry Nutreena.Just looked at what htye were carrrying,XTN isn't there.

If Nutrena still makes it , TSC can get it for you.

Just because it's not in the store today doesnt mean it can't be tomorrow.

Talk to the manager​

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Can you find rice bran for horses anywhere? It usually runs in to the 20% range.

5. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I feed Farnam's Weightbuilder for this reason and it really seems to do the trick.

HTH

6. bkreugar

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Bear foot farm are you SURE they can get it for me? That would fan freaking tastic!!!!! I don't think they can.Why do you think they can?

Pips and peeps I think Southern states carries the rice bran but I beleive they say you need to add it IN to the feed you are feeding and not feed it straight.

I KNOW I am not the only one with the fat problem, so why so much push on protein and so few choices for fat %?

I figured out myself that the fat content was what made a difference for this old girl.

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    They figured that out too. This is a direct quote from Farnam's site:

Weight Builder™

* Provides extra calories in the form of fat for maintaining body condition and fuel for performance without the risk of colic associated with grain feeding*
    * Contains flax meal which is high in omega-3 fatty acids
    * Contains protein, fat, fiber, calcium and phosphorus in guaranteed analysis
    * Calcium:phosphorus ratio is balanced so it can be fed with other supplements
    * Also enhances skin and coat condition
    * Available in 8 lb and 28 lb sizes

HTH​

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Do you have a costco they have a John Lyon's senior feed.

9. bkreugar

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Rusty have you done a cost effectiveness study on it? Like is it cheaper than say corn oil or anything? How much do you pay and how much do you feed? Where do you buy it?

See the xtn IS expensive BUT you don;t have to add ANYTHING just the XTN AND you can feed less of it than the senior grains.More bang for the $$$.

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by