Disappearing Webbing???

ange3

Hatching
Sep 14, 2021
I have two (2) Khaki Campbell ducklings that are about three (3) weeks old. I have noticed that the webbing on their feet is ?? disappearing ?? Does anyone know what this could be or has anyone had this issue before? They do not seem to be in any kind of pain and they walk just fine. The webbing has multiple holes and
Picture of duckling feet to follow.
Also thanks in advance for any kind of help given!
Duckling Foot Close.png

Do you have a picture of their brooder?
How often do you change their bedding?
What bedding are you using?

Also when you say their pen is dry other than when they have drinking water, do you mean that you only give water at certain times or they have water at all times?

Is there any way you can get closer more clear pictures? If I had to guess I would say very severe ammonia burns.

Do you have a picture of their brooder?
How often do you change their bedding?
What bedding are you using?

Also when you say their pen is dry other than when they have drinking water, do you mean that you only give water at certain times or they have water at all times?

Is there any way you can get closer more clear pictures? If I had to guess I would say very severe ammonia burns.
I change their bedding every day. I am using pine shavings as the bedding. They have water at all times, I just meant I do my best to keep up with how messy they are with their water. They are kept inside. Here is another picture of feet and their brooder (it's dirty right now and I also have a bigger waterer that sits in there as well):

Also, I should note: These ducklings were hatched from my adult female in my backyard coop. Where my female built her nest had some "Snake Away" granules, which I am unsure if that product contains ammonia or not.

Attachments

• Brooder.JPG
    Brooder.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Duck Foot .PNG
    Duck Foot .PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
I change their bedding every day. I am using pine shavings as the bedding. They have water at all times, I just meant I do my best to keep up with how messy they are with their water. They are kept inside. Here is another picture of feet and their brooder (it's dirty right now and I also have a bigger waterer that sits in there as well):

Also, I should note: These ducklings were hatched from my adult female in my backyard coop. Where my female built her nest had some "Snake Away" granules, which I am unsure if that product contains ammonia or not.
1. Your waterer needs to be deep enough for the ducklings to duck their entire head.

2. Your brooder needs to be cleaned more then once a day if you plan to keep them in a brooder that small (I would highly recommend a larger brooder). See how most of your brooder is covered in damp areas/poop? Even if you're about to clean it your ducklings are still walking in it and all of that loaded with ammonia which burns their feet.

3. You're using a red bulb in your heat lamp which is not only often too hot for a larger brooder your brooder is not big enough for your ducklings to get out of the heat. Please get a larger brooder and make sure your ducklings can get out of the heat. They are more then likely overheated if not definitely will be.

1. Your waterer needs to be deep enough for the ducklings to duck their entire head.

2. Your brooder needs to be cleaned more then once a day if you plan to keep them in a brooder that small (I would highly recommend a larger brooder). See how most of your brooder is covered in damp areas/poop? Even if you're about to clean it your ducklings are still walking in it and all of that loaded with ammonia which burns their feet.
Okay. Thank you for your advice, I will clean more than once a day and look into a bigger brooder. I appreciate your help.

@AstroDuck has given you some good info.

The only thing I'd add here is that you should bring them to an avian vet/farm vet for possible antibiotics or pain meds. That webbing looks very dead/rotten and may lead to future infections.

I'm unsure if it will effect their ability to swim properly too, but maybe Astro can answer that.

Back
Top Bottom