Disappointed...

Thanks Boggy,

I'm waiting on the seller to respond. I hadn't ordered eggs before, so this was a first experience for me. I'm sure I will order more down the road. This deal just soured the experience a bit. Our other birds have been day old chicks that were shipped. In the future I'm going to go that route on the higher end stock i can't get locally.

The chicks that did hatch are healthy, happy and look true to breed, so the sting of disappointed has been tempered by the new additions to the flock. I also put another 38 in the incubators yesterday from Garry Farms (14 EEs) and Calvin Gooch (24 BCMs). Beautiful eggs. I'm looking forward to candling. I think with the good fertility that if the breeder had packed a little better I would have a few more in the brooder tonight. My Brinseas hatch like champs.

I think my biggest beef is people charging high dollar for their eggs and then getting damaged eggs. I'm an artist and ship high end artwork and prints to a collectors who are very particular about how things are packed and shipped. I guess with the care I take packing paper and canvas, that someone shipping an item as fragile as eggs would have taken packaging to the extreme to insure a good delivery, especially at those prices.

Like you stated, "live and learn". I'm think I'm going to watch some chicken TV. It always puts me in a better mood.
smile.png

Last edited:
As a seller, if someone has a lot of broken eggs when they receive them and even if I know it's not my fault, I generally will offer to replace the eggs if they pay shipping. And if I have them. It's only happened a few times, but it does happen. Most sellers do individually bubblewrap their eggs and that helps. I would caution that even with perfectly intact eggs upon receipt, you never know what will happen. It's happened to my customers and to me on eggs I've bought. A gamble no matter how you look at it! Good luck with the rest of the eggs!

I guess I gotta put in my 2 cents.... As a seller. I list on ebay and other sites and my eggs are not always cheap. The last 6 weeks have been bad for shipping because the heat. I pack in polyfoam shippers and send priority in 2 day as long as the usps does there end. I sent 18 eggs to a gal that won an auction for 15 eggs on July 31. I shipped monday aug 1 and they got the eggs on the 4th and it was 2 states away. The gal emailed me 2 weeks later that 14 eggs were clear. I told her how sorry I was and that I just ordered some eggs for 100.00 and all were clear. I appoligized and said the weather was very hot around 100 and that the usps might of bopped the box. I do put frigle stickers and egg stickers and no xray on the box. I have never had a broken egg with my polyfoam. I hatch and sell chicks and have 3 GQF bators running and I know my birds are very fertile. I offer eggs to be picked up and do say in the auction that buying and selling eggs is a crap shoot and that I have sold eggs where all hatch and none hatch. I ask for feebback on eggs shipped not hatched. Well the gal left positive fb and a month later left a follow up that said 0 hatched and eggs were clear and I did not reply back. to me thats bad fb and the wrong thing to do. I had a gal email me a week ago that 5 out of 12 hatched and she was upset and wanted more. I refused to send free eggs clear across the US again for her to say bad hatch. I told this gal 5 of 12 eggs going clear across the US was a good hatch. I would complain if the eggs were broken or not wrapped properly or if dirty. I do wipe my eggs and pay for the foam I ship in and its not cheap. It is frustrating I do agree when I buy eggs and 0 hatch and I do let the seller know but I DO NOT expect free eggs or to leave bad FB when they(seller) follow through on their end. I do expect to refund or send more eggs if they get broken eggs from my carelesness though.

Last edited:
tell me about it Red Rooster,

Most of the folks I run into are very nice and fair regarding FB on them, but you do end up with those 3-4 here and there that expect every egg to make a chick, doesnt matter how you word your listing, they dont read, just want 10 chicks from 10 eggs, that's how well their personal eggs hatch, so why havent your shipped ones?? HAHA, heard that so many times til it's just funny any more to me.

My only 2 negs out of nearly 900 feedbacks are from 2 cuckoos like that. One saw a pic of a white birds, never read the auction, wanted all whites and bid, well it was clearly an assortment auction with 5 FREAKIN PICS! Got mad when some other colors hatched, filed claims against me, left negative and all.. of course they denined the claim but still have her nut job FB because of it.....

It's always something when selling eggs. I always end up telling them pretty much the same that you have as politely as I can, and tell them I also sell chicks, if you want 1 bird per thing ordered, you may want to consider buying chicks from me next time...often that helps smooth things over, but some people just cant be pleased without full refunds...which I will not do on eggs...

Back
Top Bottom