disappointing hatch rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scott Turner, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    I recently tried to do a dry incubating hatch in my Genesis incubator and was very disappointed with the results. In fact it was probably the worse hatch rate that I have had all year. I did put some water in the incubator to try and keep the humidity less than 40%. Should I have just not put any water in there at all? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Im sorry [​IMG] I usually do 40% humidity and so far i haven;t had over 50% hatches this way .... So im not sure how good that is. Did you turn three times a day ect ect?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Dry incubation does not work for everyone. Take it as a learning experience and go back to factory recommended settings. That's what I did and typically all eggs I put in the hatcher, end up hatching. [​IMG]

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:What do you mean by dry incubation? I don't understand this sentence: I did put some water in the incubator to try and keep the humidity less than 40%. What was the humidity level throughout your incubation and what was it for hatching?

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:What do you mean by dry incubation? I don't understand this sentence: I did put some water in the incubator to try and keep the humidity less than 40%. What was the humidity level throughout your incubation and what was it for hatching?

dry incubation is incubation with lower than normal humidity. So he meant he added a little water to keep humidity around 40%

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I know what dry incubation is. I am asking the OP what he used for humidity during his incubation and hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by