Disappointment in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gibbyports, Nov 19, 2009.

1. gibbyports

gibbyports New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    This year I decide to add Araucanas from Mt.Healthy Hatcheries to my flock. They have just started laying.... light brown eggs.I am so disappionted !I so wanted the blue/ green eggs. Well I must make more adjustments to the flock.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    did their website advertise coloured eggs? that's odd. My EEs have not started laying yet, but I sure hope I get some blue ones. Mind you, I got the eggs given to me, but they were hatched from blue eggs.
    [​IMG]

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    They are not true Araucanas, they are EEs which hatcheries say are Araucanas or Ameraucana. It is misleading but some do lay blue or green eggs. Other may lay pink, brown, or tan. It just means that they will lay a colored egg, because they have Araucanas or Ameraucana they are mixed with. Sorry you did not get the egg color you wanted, but if you got others you still have a chance. Good luck [​IMG]

Wanted to add [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Only some of them will lay colored eggs. I had one EE that laid a green egg, but my other lays a light brown egg.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Oh, I'm so sorry! I would be disappointed too. [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] I bought 2 ee's and one lays a pink egg and the other a lovely green.

I then ran out and bought eggs from HINKJC (Jody) for Araucana's, hatched those, and they all lay green eggs, of different shades, one is pretty close to blue.

7. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I bet they will have at least one good broody in the batch. How about you find someone that has the color egg you want....exclusively and get some of their fertile eggs this coming March when you can just stick it under a hen? I mean a dozen chicks for the price of one......thats what I would do.
    Ya'll I have a few......very few araucanas. They are a complicated breed. There is so much to know about them. First of all they are chickens, but thats just the very beginning. Then there is the lethal gene. Then you have to worry about tufts and rumpless being the desired traits and there is proper coloring on the feathers and feet and eyes. You can't just get real araucanas at a commercial hatchery. I was lucky and still I don't have perfect birds. I have so much to work with to get anything worth posting. 2 of my roos are on death row now because they have tails and no tufts....that and I have no match for one and the other I have a replacement that is rumpless. The araucana breeders are serious and their eggs won't come cheap. Some of them auction them off for unreal prices.....and then they don't even have a good hatch rate. Really...if you want the breed, find the closest breeder and make some arrangements and pick up live chicks yourself.

8. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I went to the dealer's website to see if you could make a complaint that you were sold EE's and not Aracaunas... but it turns out:
    http://www.mthealthy.com/product/ARASR
    Araucana chickens (as hatched)
    Easter egg chicken
    Araucanas/Ameraucanas

Originally from Chili, in South America they are called the Easter egg fowl. They lay colored eggs: blue, green, pink, and olive drab. These birds vary in size and color, some may have whiskers and others muffs of feathers that cover their ears. Their eggs are reported to have more nutritional value than ordinary eggs.

that they seem to clearly know they are not selling pure Aracaunas or Ameraucanas, and even mention the myth that green eggs are healthier! The pictures of the birds aren't even close!!!

Aracaunas would be rumpless, and should have ear tufts (but this is linked to a fatal gene that causes mortality in the eggs, so you can expect to see some tuftless birds which are necessary for breeding). Never muffs or 'whiskers'.

I'm sorry you got brown laying EE's. There are a lot of very good blue egg sellers here on this board, I hope you can find some nice pretty blue/green eggs in the future!​

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  9. okie_biddy

okie_biddy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    I too was disappointed in my little EE pullet as she also lays a brownish pink egg. I was hoping for a green or blue egg but I am happy she's laying at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by