disaster has struck my chicken world

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
my dog has killed 10 of my 14 & one may yet die. it's all my fault. last night, i was late putting them up. it was after dark. i locked them up but didn't get an accurate head count. this morning i was in a rush to get my mom to her dr appt & ran out to open the coop. one had been out all night (poor thing). by the time i caught her & took her to the others, i missed closing a gate. i come home from mom's & hubby has collected ten of my babies, two uninjured, one hurt bad, & one missing. strong storms coming in. i find the one missing & she's ok, but upset. i get her back to the coop just as the storm hits.
i tried to give the hurt one water & made water easy for her access. put blu kote on her wounds & put her in a nest box. she was so cold. i turned the heat lamp on for her. we'll see.

i have read so many posts of such things & felt so bad for everyone. i knew the chances were there. i know it's in the dog's nature, but right now, i'm not sure i can feel the same toward her or not. these were my babies i'd raised since they were 3 days old. they were so beautiful & lovely.

hit.gif
I am SO sorry for you and your babies. Sounds like you're on the right track with the injured one. I hope she pulls thru
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing your going through my dane last week. It does get better over time
hugs.gif

thanks for your caring. it's ironic, i was trying to keep a practical point of view because i intended that some would end up on the dining table & here i am crying.
the coop is too big for so few & so is the run. if i'm going to have chickens i think they will need more companionship. i guess i need to find some & figure out how to integrate them to each other.
i'll worry about that later.

Back
Top Bottom