disaster has struck my chicken world

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bj taylor, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    my dog has killed 10 of my 14 & one may yet die. it's all my fault. last night, i was late putting them up. it was after dark. i locked them up but didn't get an accurate head count. this morning i was in a rush to get my mom to her dr appt & ran out to open the coop. one had been out all night (poor thing). by the time i caught her & took her to the others, i missed closing a gate. i come home from mom's & hubby has collected ten of my babies, two uninjured, one hurt bad, & one missing. strong storms coming in. i find the one missing & she's ok, but upset. i get her back to the coop just as the storm hits.
    i tried to give the hurt one water & made water easy for her access. put blu kote on her wounds & put her in a nest box. she was so cold. i turned the heat lamp on for her. we'll see.

i have read so many posts of such things & felt so bad for everyone. i knew the chances were there. i know it's in the dog's nature, but right now, i'm not sure i can feel the same toward her or not. these were my babies i'd raised since they were 3 days old. they were so beautiful & lovely.

2. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    [​IMG]I am SO sorry for you and your babies. Sounds like you're on the right track with the injured one. I hope she pulls thru [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing your going through my dane last week. It does get better over time [​IMG]

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    thanks for your caring. it's ironic, i was trying to keep a practical point of view because i intended that some would end up on the dining table & here i am crying.
    the coop is too big for so few & so is the run. if i'm going to have chickens i think they will need more companionship. i guess i need to find some & figure out how to integrate them to each other.
    i'll worry about that later.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss.I probably would not keep my dogs if they kill my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by