1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Disaster strikes!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gizzard, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Gizzard

Gizzard New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    I have 9 eggs in a homemade incubator. They are on day 14 and all are developing nicely. I woke up this morning, go to turn the eggs as usual, and they were cool to the touch! The light bulb had failed overnight. I turned the eggs before bed last night and they were fine. So they could have cooled for up to 8 hrs or so. I've warmed them back up, but am I wasting my time? Should I discard them and start a new batch? This is my first time incubating and thought things were going too smooth. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I would give thelm a few day and candel thelm and look for movement you are only 7 days out from hatch plus one day for the temp drop. You can still wait it out also i would give thelm a chance.

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I'd let them warm back up and candle tonight or tomorrow to see what happened. You won't have lost anything by trying and you wouldn't want to give up too soon if they are still viable. Good luck.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Most times they will be just fine, alittle late hatching maybe but don't give up on them..

5. Gizzard

Gizzard New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks. The eggs have warmed up, and I'll wait it out. I guess I'll start selecting some more eggs anyway. I wasnt very picky before and used a couple eggs I now know I shouldnt have. One was porous and one was small. Ahhh such a learning experience.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'm with the rest of them.... put a new bulb in and heat them back up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by