Disaster struck

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gevannos, Jun 7, 2011.

1. gevannos

gevannos Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Well yesterday was a real bummer. It was warm in the coop, almost 95, 3 fans going and the little buggers filled the waterers with the fresh pine shaving and blocked them up so they couldn't get water. 15 dead birds, I am so upset. They must have been kicking the shavings around because they were fresh and filled the trays of the waterers so no water could flow.

I went to TSC and got another waterer, a 5 gallon one last night, I hope they don't mess that one up. I'm out there 3 - 4 times a day exchanging water so it's always fresh but I had to work yesterday so they were alone from 6 to 4.

2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I cut the top half off of a 1-gallon milk jug and fill it with water. That might be hard to clog.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That is rough. I'd set the waterers up as high as their backs on bricks, pavers, or build a small platform. That way, they don't scratch so much bedding in them. I don't know how it would work with meaties, but building a platform up a foot or more high above the bedding and giving them enough room to stand around the waterer works pretty well at keeping it clean.

4. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    I'm Sorry [​IMG] I Know How It Feels To Be Away At Work....

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    So sorry for your losses. It's a tough break when things like this happen. I put my waterers up on flat cinder blocks to help keep shavings, etc. out.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    bummer [​IMG] we have all had it happen in one way or another so pick your self up and try again [​IMG]

7. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I am so sorry for your loss. We used two methods for our waters. For my layign flock we hang their water from a tree branch. I am not sure how yours are housed. And for my youner birds in brooders, We use a cobination of bricks and old fence wood. The bricks give it the height so they cant throw up any shavings into the water but the bricks can be to narrow so we take a old block of wood and lay on top of the bricks the the waterer as something wide and flat ti sit on. I have 1 gallon waters right now. I think I will be utilizing the milk jug method with my meaties or something similiar.

8. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I would also look into getting a nipple watering system. 3 or 4 nipples and a 5 gallon bucket and you are set. They cannot clog them up.

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I have a kiddy pool filled with water all summer, one capful of peroxide every other day to kill mosquito larva - pain in the rear-

10. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:Thats a good Idea. I might do that as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by