Discolored Comb? Feathers falling out?

CrazyPets16

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 6, 2009
One of our Buff Orps has lots of feathers missing and her comb is discolored, more pinkish than red, she is not eating or drinking much but is in fine form and pecking around with the others. They all molted recently but the others have all their feathers back and their combs are bright red, like they're supposed to be. Does anyone know what this is and/or how to fix it? Thanks.
sad.png

You didn't give a time frame. Hopefully she is just slower in recovering from the molt. If she is low on the pecking order she might be having trouble getting enough to eat. You might try some protein supplements for her, separating her in order to give them, since feather growth takes lots of protein.

Actually, none of them are eating much at all. Do you know if it is normal for combs to discolor in molting?

Combs can get somewhat tatty during a moult. Wild bird suet added to the protein will help, too. Gets the comb, feathercoat and skin in top-top shape...and as ddawn says, she needs access without being harassed...now, my birds had a huge appetite during the moult and nw that it is chilly they're eating a LOT- so keep an eye on your flock, check for all the usual causes of not-doing-as-well-as-I -hoped.

Last edited:
I see you only have 3 chickens. Is it possible the feed is a bit old, or perhaps got a bit moldy, since none are eating very well? It's always possible to get a bad batch of feed, too. Just a thought.

good point, i'll have to check that. it had rained quite a bit so maybe it got a bit damp. thanks everyone for all your help!

I have only six hens and switched food, notice they weren't eating as much (a couple are molting). I didn't like the way the new stuff smelled or looked (and it was expensive and organic, of course) so I got some new food--and now they are chowing down! So it could very well be the feed. I switched mine to a higher protein level, with oyster shell available, because they are not laying anyways...

Back
Top Bottom