discolored comb/wattle/face, lethargic, no feathers on belly

Hey Quigley I am the opposite to TaraBellaBirds and I do separate my broodies from the rest of the flock. They can still see each other through wire dividers but with my first hatch, there were squabbles for the nest box and the risk of eggs being broken and then once the chicks hatched, still squabbles for that particular nest box (I have more than one
wink.png
) and the risk of chicks being injured; so mumma and bubbers were moved.

My coop is set up in the middle of the run, so we have a front and back run which can be separated when we have bubs.

The issue with keeping them separate is reintegration when they are older as this does take some time and patience.

See how you go, my set up is not quite right for ‘raising with the flock’ but that would definitely be my preference if I could.

@Teila Just goes to show how most of these choices really are based on personal setups and situations.
I have a big coop and run, several nesting areas and lots of places for little ones to hide. I have a large brooding room and brooder I use for my more expensive breeds, which those guys never get integrated into my main flock, they have seperate inclosed runs.
My broodys raise my mixes and my EE's.

Yep TaraBellaBirds that is why I sometimes mention “in my experience”; “I believe” or “this is just what I do and others may have a different opinion which I respect”
wink.png

I didn’t used to say anything if I did something slightly different to someone else or a little ‘out of the norm’ but I have learnt that it is probably a good thing to have more than one option/plan/opinion as you are so right in that what works for some, may not work for others.

Each of our flocks all have their own chickenalities and we plan/manage/adjust accordingly .. I have learnt that sometimes you need a Plan A, B, C and D depending on how determined the featheries are to thwart the plan
lau.gif

We tucked three 3-day old chicks under her last night. This morning they are still alive (cold here), in a different nesting box than we had her in, and she is being very protective. The other hens don't seem to have noticed yet. Hoping this works out!

So glad for the advice of experienced people!

I would definitely not put them in with the others, because the chicks have to eat different food and the adults will kill them when given a chance. I was at a friends house who have a hen in with the others whose chicks JUST hatched and we went in the coop to see them and found one chick drowning and soaked in the water dish, the other chick gone without a trace, which we're assuming that the others ate, and the mother very confused and not knowing what to do. When my hen hatched chicks we had her in an enclosure in the coop made of straw like the one in the picture.

I have always left my broody's in with the flock, and have yet to have any drastic losses, none through hens or roos in the flock. If she is attentive, she should be fine with only three to look after. Rhodebar does have a good point about the water, be certain that it isn't too deep. Chicks will find the darndest preCHICKaments to get into. I always put a bit of starter near where my broodys are at the first few days. Mama will take good care of their diet. If they can get outside she will teach them to scratch and hunt for bugs.
Good luck
@Quigley

I have always left my broody's in with the flock, and have yet to have any drastic losses, none through hens or roos in the flock.  If she is attentive, she should be fine with only three to look after.  Rhodebar does have a good point about the water, be certain that it isn't too deep.  Chicks will find the darndest preCHICKaments to get into.  I always put a bit of starter near where my broodys are at the first few days.  Mama will take good care of their diet.  If they can get outside she will teach them to scratch and hunt for bugs.
Good luck @Quigley

What happened to my friend's birds might have been a freak accident, so it could very well work for the OP's birds.

What happened to my friend's birds might have been a freak accident, so it could very well work for the OP's birds.

Chicks are prone to freak accidents for sure. The last couple of days my two broody's have been locked in the coop with the rest of the flock of about 20. Keep in mind I have a huge coop but still it just goes to show that they can live in harmony. It is so funny having two broody's at once. I set their eggs at the same time. They have 13 between the two of them. They don't really coparent, but their numbers sure do fluctuate LOL. It's a good life for a chick to have two Mommy's to choose from!

Can we get some pics from the OP?

Last edited:

Chicks are prone to freak accidents for sure.  The last couple of days my two broody's have been locked in the coop with the rest of the flock of about 20.  Keep in mind I have a huge coop but still it just goes to show that they can live in harmony.  It is so funny having two broody's at once.  I set their eggs at the same time.  They have 13 between the two of them.  They don't really coparent, but their numbers sure do fluctuate LOL.  It's a good life for a chick to have two Mommy's to choose from!

Can we get some pics from the OP?

Having two broodies would be fun! I agree we need pictures.

Back
Top Bottom