discolored white inside a perfect looking egg

Mojo

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008

This was a perfect looking egg with a fine shell until I peeled the boiled egg. The white is stained brown.
What might cause this?

Thanks. I will make more ventilation. Though, we do commonly have five degree nights. And, just checking with you, this color is as if you poured some coffee into cream and it did not mix thoroughly yet. It is not red, or speckled. The brown is not dark. I wonder how it would have looked just out of the shell and not cooked? Rather unappealing, I imagine.

Thanks. I will make more ventilation. Though, we do commonly have five degree nights. And, just checking with you, this color is as if you poured some coffee into cream and it did not mix thoroughly yet. It is not red, or speckled. The brown is not dark. I wonder how it would have looked just out of the shell and not cooked? Rather unappealing, I imagine.
Not surer ventilation has anything to do with blood in egg white?

Blood turns from red to brown when oxidized or cooked....if you had broken that egg open before cooking it probably would have been red.
Blood in an egg can be from small blood vessels breaking when ova is released, happens once in a while and not necessarily a problem.
It can be rather alarming, finding one will make you break eggs in separate bowl instead of into pan or recipe for awhile.

Not surer ventilation has anything to do with blood in egg white?

Blood turns from red to brown when oxidized or cooked....if you had broken that egg open before cooking it probably would have been red.
Blood in an egg can be from small blood vessels breaking when ova is released, happens once in a while and not necessarily a problem.
It can be rather alarming, finding one will make you break eggs in separate bowl instead of into pan or recipe for awhile.
I never went back after ruining a cake batter.. I always break eggs into a separate bowl, mind you I may have 1/100 that has blood in it, but just that one is enough
big_smile.png

And I agree, the blood would turn brown after cooking and ventilation has nothing to do with whether there will be blood in it or not

Right. Cooked blood would brown. Thanks. So, perhaps that blurb on ventilation just popped up? It was not an answer?

Is it safe to eat?
Many people do not want to eat an odd-looking egg like that, but yes it would be safe.

It is also safe to feed the egg to some kind of animal, such as a chicken or a dog. They are usually happy to eat eggs no matter what odd color might be present :)

Back
Top Bottom