discolored white inside a perfect looking egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mojo, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Mojo

Mojo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    [​IMG]
    This was a perfect looking egg with a fine shell until I peeled the boiled egg. The white is stained brown.
    What might cause this?

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Blood

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees.

4. Mojo

Mojo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Thanks. I will make more ventilation. Though, we do commonly have five degree nights. And, just checking with you, this color is as if you poured some coffee into cream and it did not mix thoroughly yet. It is not red, or speckled. The brown is not dark. I wonder how it would have looked just out of the shell and not cooked? Rather unappealing, I imagine.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not surer ventilation has anything to do with blood in egg white?

Blood turns from red to brown when oxidized or cooked....if you had broken that egg open before cooking it probably would have been red.
    Blood in an egg can be from small blood vessels breaking when ova is released, happens once in a while and not necessarily a problem.
    It can be rather alarming, finding one will make you break eggs in separate bowl instead of into pan or recipe for awhile.

6. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I never went back after ruining a cake batter.. I always break eggs into a separate bowl, mind you I may have 1/100 that has blood in it, but just that one is enough [​IMG]

And I agree, the blood would turn brown after cooking and ventilation has nothing to do with whether there will be blood in it or not

7. Mojo

Mojo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Right. Cooked blood would brown. Thanks. So, perhaps that blurb on ventilation just popped up? It was not an answer?

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe the link in my signature?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by