Discoloured yellow drake! Need advice ASAP!! X

Thank you for your reply! And reassurance. We are in the North East of England and it is very cold at the moment but we plan to winter proof their run tomorrow and they have their house they sleep in on a night time.

We are first time duck owners and the winter is all new to us. šŸ˜Š

Um, people take down from ducks and geese to pad their jackets. As long as they are out of the wind they should be fine. I was worried my first winter too. So, I put a thermometer in their coop which sent a signal to a receiver in my house. Even when it was really cold the temperature reading where they were stayed at much higher temperatures calming my fears. You might get one, mine came from Walmart.

Um, people take down from ducks and geese to pad their jackets. As long as they are out of the wind they should be fine. I was worried my first winter too. So, I put a thermometer in their coop which sent a signal to a receiver in my house. Even when it was really cold the temperature reading where they were stayed at much higher temperatures calming my fears. You might get one, mine came from Walmart.
My winters here get ugly. We have already got to -38 c
I have an insulated garage converted to a duck house
My ducks wonā€™t even step outside at -30 or colder
I do Turn on a little heater at -20 or cooler as I do keep their little duck door open all day so they can go in if they want yo get a bit warmer
My ducks will stay outside all day at -10 or warmer

Looking for advice please, we have an 8 month old drake who has recently started to have a tinge of yellow upon his feathers, we are first time duck owners so need some advice, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance..
Healthy pekin ducks/drakes should have a slightly cream color.

My drakes are much more yellow than my son's drake and 2 girls, but my drakes are on Purina duck food and my son's are on organic starter grower feed. I think the difference in color is that there must be more corn in the purina duck food. One of my three pekin drakes also dribbles his food down his front [messy boy has an excuse: he was rescued from a raccoon and has a damaged bill] and his feathers are permanently yellow down his front!

Your boy looks fine to me -- I am sure the color is from his diet. Nothing to worry about!

Last edited:
I have pekin
Pekin cross and a silver Swedish thatā€™s mostly white as well as a blue Swedish with a white neck and all of my white on my ducks have got yellow at some point
I never did figure it out and all of them are perfectly healthy
I was told a lot of corn can do this but I donā€™t use corn often
Once in a blue moon
This is the yellow on my blue Swedish
It went away and is pure white again
Your yellow, New duck mommy 2021, is like the yellow on my pekin drakes chest -- mine has a damaged bill and dribbles down his front. I make him ducky soup from pellets and occasional veggies and I think that is the cause of his yellow. Do you feed your ducks, ducky soup?

You are spoiling your ducks Crazy Quackers, bringing them into the house! If you keep your ducks in a draft-free duck house, on dry bedding, they will be ok in your cold weather. The main problem [I think] with your weather is the biting cold wind off the North Sea, and rather more rain than most of us like. So protect your ducks from the wind chill and they will be fine. They will know from instinct whether to go outside during the day, or stay sheltered in your duck house, so you need not worry about them

Your yellow, New duck mommy 2021, is like the yellow on my pekin drakes chest -- mine has a damaged bill and dribbles down his front. I make him ducky soup from pellets and occasional veggies and I think that is the cause of his yellow. Do you feed your ducks, ducky soup?
No ducky soup
I do add nutrition yeast to the feed but his yellow came one day then was gone not long after. All Of my ducks with any white in them also went yellow just not as bright as him
One of the white ones I sold the lady text me a month later and said hers was also going yellow but has since also gone back white
They arenā€™t all related either so not a genetic thing
Would love to know why though
Here he is now you can see on my silver Swedish the slight cream on her belly still

Attachments

• 3FC5ECCD-2E7D-4C2C-A807-3B47924C8286.png
    3FC5ECCD-2E7D-4C2C-A807-3B47924C8286.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 5D722231-560A-4D74-B683-FD727A7C6AF7.png
    5D722231-560A-4D74-B683-FD727A7C6AF7.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! And reassurance. We are in the North East of England and it is very cold at the moment but we plan to winter proof their run tomorrow and they have their house they sleep in on a night time.

We are first time duck owners and the winter is all new to us. šŸ˜Š
:welcome

My young full grown Pekin Drake is yellow as well! He was hatched with a niacin deficiency and I thought it had something to do with that possibly. I brought him in and hand feed him and babies him until he walked on his own. Now he is out with the girls! Does anybody know why is he yellow? All my other pecin ducks are white!

Back
Top Bottom