Discouraged

Your setup looks ideal for young chicks. I use that exact heat plate in an even colder room and haven't experienced problems with chicks getting too cold.

her umbilical cord was also crusty
That is not a good sign. It could mean her navel was open when she hatched, or her umbilical cord didn't absorb all the way. Those both allow bacteria to enter her yolk sack and cause omphalitis (yolk sack infection). Does her abdomen appear swollen or feel squishy? Any miscolored tissue around her navel? If she does have omphalitis, there is nothing you can do about it.

Some chicks also just fail to thrive. If they don't thrive in ideal conditions, there is an underlying condition (infection, inability to absorb nutrients, etc.). It looks like you are doing everything right, but some just wont make it, even in the best conditions

To try to perk her up, give her a couple drops of Nutri-drench. This will give her some vitimans (different from the electrolyte mixes, which I see you have already added to the water).

Does her abdomen appear swollen or feel squishy? Any miscolored tissue around her navel? If she does have omphalitis, there is nothing you can do about it.
thank you, @FuzzyCritters for the reassurance that I am not making more tragic rookie mistakes.
I am not noticing that her ab is swollen or soft. I did just examine her tail end again and there was more creamy yellow diarrhea (pictured). I washed that away and the second picture shows the hard black scab(?) below her vent.

She is still breathing but would not eat and no longer let me dip her beak to get some electrolytes. I am heading to bed now and am not expecting her to make it through the night. The other two continue to eat and drink.

Thanks to all for the support tonight.

Attachments

• 4A755093-1E9B-47C8-B06C-D23E6875F1D0.jpeg
    4A755093-1E9B-47C8-B06C-D23E6875F1D0.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 865DA58D-1A94-4363-BF28-89138124D230.jpeg
    865DA58D-1A94-4363-BF28-89138124D230.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 7
x2 on Nutri-Drench, which is supposedly very effective for chicks and easier for them to absorb.

Keep an eye on all their vents to ensure they're not clogging up, which is known as pasty butt and can be fatal.

Do not add more heat, heat is not the issue here as long as the brooding plate is functioning as intended (warm to the touch).

As feared, she didn't make it through the night. I have done a complete bedding change and am keeping my eye on the other two. I will get some Nutri-Drench to have on hand so I don't find myself with a need again when stores are closed. Sigh.

Thank to everyone for the input and support.

Back
Top Bottom