Discouraged

MarinaR

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2021
Hi all,
New here.
I am feeling very discouraged...close to ready to give up.
I grew up with chickens and my mom rarely had health issues with her hens. In the 16 months since i have owned chickens i've dealt with: (edited to add more detail)
- needing to get rid of most of my flock due to roosters (not allowed roosters in town)
- major lice (integrated a couple free range birds that were infested and i didn know it)
- many broken toenails (annoying due to blood all over the place)
- one nail completely ripped off (took 3-4 weeks of care to heal)
- one was not digesting food properly so had stands of grass hanging out of it's bum (learned not to give much grass as a treat)
- one was not handling the feed well before it started laying (was my only <18 week old for a little while)
- one had frostbite on it's comb which was then pecked off and there was more blood all over the place
- one died of respretory issues (only one chick and didn't spread)
- one just died of either egg yoke peretonitis or cancer (have had major egg laying issues ever since it started laying)
- two more haven't laid in three months leading me to think they are on their way out with egg yoke peretonitis or trauma (one had the ripped nail and hasn't laid since and the other never started laying consistently despite being born Apr 2020)
- And now i have to deal with bumble foot.
It seems like as soon as one issue is dealt with a new one shows up.
I am so tired of this. I did and continue doing my research in order to ensure proper nutrition, housing, and space requirements. But the health issues just keep happening.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
For lice/mites, get some Permethrin Dust, put in their dust bathing areas, or dust the birds directly?

Broken toenails happen, not a death sentence. Had at least 2 birds break at least 1 toenail once.

Provide grit to aid in digestion, & avoid really long grass. Short grass is best, & less likely to cause issues.

Frostbite is normal in Single combed birds, especially roosters. Had a few cases before during the brutal winters.

What was the reason for ridding your flock of roosters? Gotta give a reason.

Respiratory issues can have a disease cause, or an environmental cause, such as high ammonia levels, or molds.

Egg problems can be disease related, or have a genetic cause, or an infection in the reproductive system. Best way to know is have your birds looked at. I can't imagine multiple hens having Egg Yolk Peritonitis all at once. Something's wrong there.

Last edited:
I have sucessfully dealt with almost all of the issues. The frustrating part is that health issues just keep happening.
No chicken vets available here so I'm on my own to figure out every new problem.
I don understand how my mom had and my aunt has way more chickens for way more years and never had all these issues. Actually they have never had any issues.
I don't understand what they are doing so different except they bought from a hatchery and i bought from a farm.

I have sucessfully dealt with almost all of the issues. The frustrating part is that health issues just keep happening.
No chicken vets available here so I'm on my own to figure out every new problem.
I don understand how my mom had and my aunt has way more chickens for way more years and never had all these issues. Actually they have never had any issues.
I don't understand what they are doing so different except they bought from a hatchery and i bought from a farm.
Did you buy from different farm sources?

Most of my birds are from hatcheries, except a few from hatching eggs, & 2 from an Animal Swap, 2 chicks from a local breeder.

Haven't had very many issues, except 1 bumblefoot case, some lice, a sinus infection(Coop was due for a cleaning, & Ammonia levels was pretty high, only 1 bird was affected by it.) 1 eye injury, gash wound on a hen due to rooster spurs, wounded silkie rooster, introduction injuries(Years ago.)

Yes, two different farms. The original 6 chicks from one farm and then rooster replacements from another. The whole story is quite ridiculous. Short version: 13 chickens in 16 months to achieve a flock of 6.
The roosters, or chicks you gotten could have been infected with a disease.

Always quarantine new birds for at least 30 days to watch for any signs of illness before introducing them.

Back
Top Bottom