Discouraging hens from laying in spot

Medic324

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 30, 2014
I've seen many threads on getting your hens to lay in their nest boxes but I can't find any information on techniques for discouraging hens from laying in a particular spot. I have about 50 free range hens and of course with free range comes the daily Easter egg hunt. My issue is lately they have taken a liking to some picky bushes that are a huge pain to get the eggs out from under. Does anyone have any advice or techniques for making a spot less favorable for egg laying?

Thanks!

At least you know where the eggs are. You could try pruning back the prickles. Either that will make them not like it anymore or it will make it easier to get the eggs.

Fence 'em out or fence 'em in.

Some folks just put some thing in the way(bucket, block, box) or somehow disrupt the 'nest' area they have chosen.

You may need to do both.......
......fence off the bushes and coop them up until they are regularly laying in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom