Discouraging Roo from Biting Hen's Head

Heidis Happy Hens

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2022
Northern Colorado
Hi new friends! I'm told it is pretty normal for my rooster (Joe Cocker) to bite at the head/neck when mating, but my roo has no swag with the girls yet and is stripping their heads almost bald and sometimes injuring them. He has a few favorites of the 14 hens, and I'd like to discourage it. I'm wondering if there is something that tastes nasty to them, but isn't really dark or blue. When I tried using that on one of the hens, the roo freaked out and pecked at the blue spot. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

Thanks for your replies. Is it ok to separate him by himself in a small coop right next to the hens? Would he be alright with the cold weather - they all huddle on the roosts in the henhouse at night

Welcome to BYC? If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when climate matters.

Thanks for your reply. He is 6 months old. What age is maturity for roos?

He's a hormonal teenager.

How old are the females?

If they're about the same age, not only has he not learned any finesse, but they're not necessarily ready and are probably having hysterics, which leads to them not submitting properly.

Thanks for your replies. Is it ok to separate him by himself in a small coop right next to the hens? Would he be alright with the cold weather - they all huddle on the roosts in the henhouse at night

Here's one of those climate matters things, how do you define "cold"?

As long as he's dry and out of the wind his feathers will keep him warm and cozy on cold nights.

Back
Top Bottom