Discussion: Where do you put your brooder, and why?

I put down a tarp in the office with the brooder on top. Dust is definitely an issue as is the smell. The brooder is a big cardboard box (a dress box from U-haul)with hardwire on top. I put small pine shavings in the brooder and change it out as necessary. Weekly at first ( I usually only have 6 chicks at a time), the bi weekly as they age. By the time the smell gets too much with the bi weekly changes, it is time for them to go outside to a "baby enclosure". They live in there for a couple of weeks until old enough to free range with plenty of places to hide from the big girls when necessary. Usually they join the big girls in the coop when they decide to sleep in there themselves. I have only had one group of chicks that had to be "encouraged" to go sleep in the big girl coop.

I never thought of using fine mesh screen. What a great idea! I couldn't imagine having peeps in my living room for 15 weeks.

I had mine in my living room for 10 weeks and when I get a new batch, they will not be in the living room beyond 6-8 weeks. After that they get real messy and start to smell.

Loved being so close to them as they develop, you get to see their personalities up close.

My brooder is 4x8 (sized by piece of plywood for the floor) with chicken wire all around and a hinged top. I shall try the screening when I get a new batch of chicks.

brooder and sweet heater in workshop to control temp and when they get second feathers when it warm put in a kennel next to regular coop so other chickens and guineas see them daily and they see big birds....when they of a good size not fully grown let them mix with others in chicken yard during day....of course the guineas are out and about but always feed in coop at evening and everyone comes home...and close up during nights. Have three dog kennels made into chicken and guinea run next to one small kennel for coming out birds ....they seem to do well with this set up ....built coops on two kennels with one inside coop as one rooster does not get along with others so he has his own flock...but main pen is a good ways from house as the smell and birds have space of their own behind my garden but close enough to watch

The dog playpen I use has a fine net top so that is dust filter #1.
I use alfalfa hay in the brooder not shavings dust helper #2.
I use a stand alone dust filter near the brooder I think it is an ionic breeze, dust helper #3.
Really if you couldn't hear chicks you'd never know they were here.:)

Could you elaborate on "if done correctly"? How is it that you manage to keep the dust to a minimum?

Definitely build yourself a nice coop first. Either separate coops as a brooder house and for your adult birds or a big enough one that you can divide when you want to start new chicks. I love baby poultry, but as others have said they do make a mess, and no matter how clean you keep them, they produce dander and odors that permeate indoor areas and can take a long time to get rid of. I did brood a bunch of baby chicks in a big tub on a sun porch when we had an unusually miserable cold spring for Augusta Georgia one year, so I know! And build your coop so that it can be well-ventilated yet keep out all predators, even ones like snakes and rats that can get through very small spaces.

My boyfriend and I recently bought a home with an acre of land and I've been dying to get started on chickens for a year or two now. We're at odds on where to put them while in the brooder. I know there isn't a "wrong" place to put it as long as the chicks are comfortable and have the appropriate temperatures they need, but I am wondering where all of you place your brooders! Garage, porch, utility room? Living room? Lol.

Also, if anyone has any opinions on non-flighty, friendly, decent layers I am open to suggestions! I am strongly favoring Buff Orpingtons right now :)

I feel most comfortable with the brooder being inside the house. Our first girls were right in the kitchen where I could visit them often. The next time I had a broody momma so I had to put her and her eggs in the unused guest bathroom. I just got three babies yesterday and they’re back in the kitchen under the desk with a light. Where I can feed and water and care for them if they need a foot or booty wash up. And I can see how they’re behaving easily. Things with chicks can turn bad so quickly. I like to stay on top of their health and well-being. Good luck. And yes orpingtons seem to be a fav. If I had it to do over I’d probably get those. Lavender are my fav.

My boyfriend and I recently bought a home with an acre of land and I've been dying to get started on chickens for a year or two now. We're at odds on where to put them while in the brooder. I know there isn't a "wrong" place to put it as long as the chicks are comfortable and have the appropriate temperatures they need, but I am wondering where all of you place your brooders! Garage, porch, utility room? Living room? Lol.

Also, if anyone has any opinions on non-flighty, friendly, decent layers I am open to suggestions! I am strongly favoring Buff Orpingtons right now :)
Congrats! Prepare to fall in love with your feathered flock - my biggest suggestion is look where the sun is shining at the hottest part of the day and be sure your girls have plenty of sun, as well as an area where they can get shade on especially hot days! Also, be as close to a water supply as possible, as lugging water to/from coop can be a hassle if there is a distance! Enjoy!

I recommend keeping them in the house for the first week. They don't make much dust until their feathers start coming in and they need a lot of attention at first. Plus, they're so darned cute it's hard to stay away from them! Two or three weeks would be my maximum time in the the house, if I had other options. I didn't have electricity in the coop, so mine were in the house for 6 weeks. Too long! You will still need to provide heat until they are fully feathered at about 6 weeks. That might be a good compromise with your partner: in the house for a week or two and then out in the heated coop.

On bird recommendations, I think buff Orpingtons are the best! Sweet, friendly, beautiful and great layers. I also like Australorps and Delawares at lot! Those three breeds together make a beautiful, friendly flock.

Ah yes, memories... our first group of chicks were brooded in the downstairs bathtub until they started flying around. It was still too cold for them to go outside, so they took over the laundry room. What a mess! Once we had broody hens, they did the brooding so no more in the house. We thought it was so funny that we had meticulously kept them at recommended temperatures, while the moms had them outside within days. We don't even keep them in a separate area. After a few days they mix with the other hens and everyone gets along.

Back
Top Bottom