Discussion: Where do you put your brooder, and why?

For my first batch last year, I used a small bathroom with shower stall. It was great for temperature control, but the cleanup afterwards was insane (everything was coated with dust). I moved the chicks to a make-shift brooder in our garage afterwards.
This year I am setting up a brooder (for my new keets that arrive this Wed) in a spare coop.
:lau I did that once too. Nearly took a bottle of bleach before I'd allow anyone in that bathroom again. :lau I said never again too!

My boyfriend and I recently bought a home with an acre of land and I've been dying to get started on chickens for a year or two now. We're at odds on where to put them while in the brooder. I know there isn't a "wrong" place to put it as long as the chicks are comfortable and have the appropriate temperatures they need, but I am wondering where all of you place your brooders! Garage, porch, utility room? Living room? Lol.

Also, if anyone has any opinions on non-flighty, friendly, decent layers I am open to suggestions! I am strongly favoring Buff Orpingtons right now :)
I think BO's are wonderful hens! :love They are sweet and built like bumblebees. Definitely don't fly, although one tried yesterday when I wanted to pick her up and take a look at her. :lau She got about a foot off the ground. :lau But then she was sweet and allowed us to look her over. I don't handle my girls a lot. If you do, you wont even have this problem. I don't think of it as a problem, really. Neither my chickens nor I want to cuddle. We like hanging out together, but separately. :wee

It depends on temperature for me. If it's too hot then I brood in my home office with short trips outside that become longer over time. If temps are bearable I brood in a mini coop outside. I prefer outside, but 110* + is just too hot for babies in my opinion.

but the addition of Fine Mesh Window Screening, kept the Dust to near Zero!

You could have mentioned that in a thread earlier this spring before I brooded 3 Speckled Sussex and 4 Leghorns in my KITCHEN PANTRY!!
I came home one day to discover they all learned how to dust bathe at the same time. They went to the coop that evening.

Just kidding of course, that’s a great idea. I’ll be framing up a screen for my next brood! :D

BTW, I don’t store food in the pantry. It’s on an opposite wall of an open floor plan kitchen/dining area and I use it for a tool/supply closet.

It depends on temperature for me. If it's too hot then I brood in my home office with short trips outside that become longer over time. If temps are bearable I brood in a mini coop outside. I prefer outside, but 110* + is just too hot for babies in my opinion.
too hot is actually worse than too cold for chicks, I found out the hard way. I have some 2 and 3 week old chicks in an outdoor brooder (inside a coop) and ventilation is not the best in that corner. It gets to 100 degrees in their location this time of year so I bring out frozen bottles of water and put it in their drinking water and it cools the place off. down to a reasonable temperature. I do not have the type of heat you have in most of my outdoor brooders though. Although its possible to go over 100 in summer its not common and its only a day or 2 when it happens. Humidity is the beast in these parts.

Last edited:
I'll be using the laundry room, which is a re-purposed back porch (walled and windowed). Since there is no air-conditioning ducts it is easily the warmest room in the house, even when the dryer isn't running. It also gets a normal day night cycle thanks to the wall-of-windows along one side. I have a mama heating pad inside if they need the extra heat.

At my old house I used the two car garage, but my garage here is smaller and is currently being used as my workshop where I am in the process of building their coop, so I need the room and see no need to be exposing them to all the dust and noise. Especially as I doubt I'll be able to get them to wear dust masks.:duc

20190812_114319_HDR.jpg
20190812_114310_HDR.jpg
20190812_114255_HDR.jpg

The peeps this morning.

Sorry, wrong thread!

Last edited:
I normally keep them in for a week after hatch to make sure they are all healthy, eating and drinking,, then straight out to a small seperate coop next to the main chicken pen.
I have electreic out there so i can plug the heat plate in.
As far as im concerned the quicker you get them used to natural day and night light and temps the healthier they are (unless there are extreme temp changes) and i have never lost a chick after its reached a week old (touch wood)

I try to locate brooders in dry location with out of direct sunlight that can be ventilated to keep moisture levels down. Ideally floor is smooth so can be easily cleaned. Storage area near by provided place for lots of fresh bedding. Keeping rodents from accessing feed a priority.

I normally keep them in for a week after hatch to make sure they are all healthy, eating and drinking,, then straight out to a small seperate coop next to the main chicken pen.
I have electreic out there so i can plug the heat plate in.
As far as im concerned the quicker you get them used to natural day and night light and temps the healthier they are (unless there are extreme temp changes) and i have never lost a chick after its reached a week old (touch wood)

I think this is what I'm going to do. Keep them in a week in my bathroom so I can keep an eye on them and them move them to the garage room before they get too dusty. The garage room has a corner with 2 windows so they'll be in daylight a bit too. And luckily it isn't too hot here right now. :)

Back
Top Bottom