Disease? 2 hens died, were not eating and were lethargic...

codyleeds

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
2 of my 9 month old female cochins have died in the past 2 days. They were lethargic had pale combs, and would not eat or drink for 12 hours until they died. Their poop was white and their breathing seemed normal until the last few minutes. They were eating organic layer pellets and drinking clean water the day before they died.

They are not vaccinated at all.
They did not seem injured and were healthy beforehand
The other hens are not displaying symptoms yet but it has only been 48 hours since th first breakout.

i would like to treat the birds myself in order to make sure no more die.

They sleep on a perch in a small coop and they have a very large pen in the day

I isolated both hens and hand fed them and watered them in warm conditions

i live in Santa barbara california

What is wrong with them? will it infect my other chickens and what should I do?
What is your experience with contacting the county agriculture commisioner for help? What measures can I take just in case?
aka Apple cider vinager in their water

ACK! Help! the same thing is happening to my two 7 month old hens. I have two others, same age, who are not showing symptoms. A week ago, I brought in 5 seven week old pullets, but they were vaccinated- not showing symptoms. I have my two sick girls inside right now, trying to feed them water with antibiotic. not sure what else to do.

You could try some Terra-Vet 10 which is a water soluble antibiotic. It's a good broad-spectrum antibiotic used to treat respiratory infections. The lethargy and pale combs sounds a little like CRD. Did they have raspy breathing just prior to passing?

Back
Top Bottom