Disease from progenitor to chick via egg?

PortugalBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I intend to increase the genetic diversity of my flock, so I plan to go around town and buy some fertile eggs from local farmers/breeders/keepers.
My main concern, and the reason why I am posting, is that I fear I might bring diseases to my flock.
So the question is, does anyone know if there are diseases, that can be transmitted from the progenitor to the chick via the egg? If so, is there a way to prevent it? (like washing the eggs with a specific chemical..)

Thank you very much, and merry Xmas to everyone!

Quote:
Thanks.
I searched for "mycoplasma" and found out that if you put the egg on the incubator at 46ºC for 12 to 48hours it will kill the mycoplasma organisms (just like when our bodies get fever to get rid of the disease) the only problem is that it will reduce the hatchability by 8 to 12% (attention: not to 8 to 12%, but by 8 to 12%).

Quote:
Thanks.
I searched for "mycoplasma" and found out that if you put the egg on the incubator at 46ºC for 12 to 48hours it will kill the mycoplasma organisms (just like when our bodies get fever to get rid of the disease) the only problem is that it will reduce the hatchability by 8 to 12% (attention: not to 8 to 12%, but by 8 to 12%).

I don't know how true that is because mycoplasma is pretty hard to eradicate.
It makes the chickens carries for life and is very contagious, but because it is still egg form it makes me wondering if it would work....hmmm
Out of curiosity can you show me the link that said that?

Various veterinarians have recommended this method: http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=18095
So
thats why i'm skeptical if you put the incubator at 46ºC for 12 to 48hours and its able to kill the mycoplasma, then why wouldn't the vets just recommend that instead
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know but probably because it just kills the mycoplasma not being effective with other diseases, and because it reduces the hatch so vets don't recommend that to hatcheries because it would reduce the profit. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/eggs.html

Thanks for the link!
Thats very interesting never knew that
ep.gif

Ya your probably right, they don't advise it because you will have lowered hatch rates.

Quote:
I wrote this post in a hope to know how to solve this problem, and be fully confident when hatching "foreign" eggs, but now after reading all the text, in the link I sent you, I feel (itchy, and I feel) overwhelmed by the amount of diseases out there and how much you have to do to make sure you get rid of them.

Last edited:
Quote:
I wrote this post in a hope to know how to solve this problem, and be fully confident when hatching "foreign" eggs, but now after reading all the text, in the link I sent you, I feel (itchy, and I feel) overwhelmed by the amount of diseases out there and how much you have to do to make sure you get rid of them.

I'm sorry
sad.png

I hope it wasn't something i said.
I know it can be very overwhelming.
From what ive read most people hatch eggs out without doing any preventative and they have had no problems.
The only reason i choose to do the egg dip method is because i recently had to put my whole flock down, because i had bought adult birds that had Chronic Respiratory Disease (mycoplasma MS).
Your normally ok as long as you don't buy/bring in adult birds.
It is highly more likely you will bring in disease by adult birds then hatching eggs.
Apparently its a 10% chance that a infected hen could pass the disease down through the egg.
Sadly, nothing will 100% protect your flock from disease and even something like a wild sparrow could bring disease on your property so there is no way to totally prevent it.
Things just happen sometimes and we can only do what we can, so try not to stress too much
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sorry
sad.png

I hope it wasn't something i said.
I know it can be very overwhelming.
From what ive read most people hatch eggs out without doing any preventative and they have had no problems.
The only reason i choose to do the egg dip method is because i recently had to put my whole flock down, because i had bought adult birds that had Chronic Respiratory Disease (mycoplasma MS).
Your normally ok as long as you don't buy/bring in adult birds.
It is highly more likely you will bring in disease by adult birds then hatching eggs.
Apparently its a 10% chance that a infected hen could pass the disease down through the egg.
Sadly, nothing will 100% protect your flock from disease and even something like a wild sparrow could bring disease on your property so there is no way to totally prevent it.
Things just happen sometimes and we can only do what we can, so try not to stress too much
smile.png

No need to say sorry, I said it as a joke (a bad one, I see now)
lol.png

*should have put a smile on that post*

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom