Disease going around in my flock? PLEASE HELP!

If you have Fish Mox, then give a direct oral dose instead of dissolving it in water.

Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days. If I had 500mg capsules, I'd mix it with 1tsp coconut oil, mix well, then divide it in 1/2. Roll each 1/2 into a pill form, then pop them into the freezer. Give 1 coconut pill in the a.m., then the other at night - there's your dosing and pills for the day.

Any feed that spills and gets wet will mold fairly quickly, especially in mild to warm temperatures. It's usually best to have feeders where any spillage stays dry or some put a tray under feeders to help catch spills.
If you see any wet feed spills, shovel them out, moldy feed can make the birds sick.

You mentioned you changed up their feeder, take some time and observe to see if these 2 know how to get to the feed and are eating from the feeder. Some birds are dingy or they just don't like change.
Do provide grit (crushed granite) free choice as well, so they can process feed, veggies, etc.
Thanks so much! Since it was raining and a part of their run got wet near their food, I’m just going to throw it out to be safe. I didn’t see any condensation but just to be safe.

Should I keep giving antibiotics to treat mold exposure? I’m case they have it?

Thank you again!

Since you mentioned sand in the run. Don't feed the chickens over sand. Any feed that falls onto the sand and gets buried will cause mold to grow. It just take a bit of moisture to have mold growth. And mold exposure will definitely make chickens sick.
This is a huge reason why I don't get that people use sand. I realize some do because they feel it's easier to keep clean by treating it like a kitty litter box, but it just seems it causes more issues than it's worth. For those of us in cold states, it doesn't insulate and is cold in the winter and has been blamed for Coccidiosis and mites mites growing in coops too due to the moisture it can hold.

This is a huge reason why I don't get that people use sand. I realize some do because they feel it's easier to keep clean by treating it like a kitty litter box, but it just seems it causes more issues than it's worth. For those of us in cold states, it doesn't insulate and is cold in the winter and has been blamed for Coccidiosis and mites mites growing in coops too due to the moisture it can hold.
This is my first time owning chickens so I just do what I’ve been recommended. I live in arizona so no matter winter, it’s always mild here. When it rains, sun in the afternoon dries everything pretty fast. But thank you. Will keep an eye out for wet spots in the run from now on.

This is my first time owning chickens so I just do what I’ve been recommended. I live in arizona so no matter winter, it’s always mild here. When it rains, sun in the afternoon dries everything pretty fast. But thank you. Will keep an eye out for wet spots in the run from now on.
I'm sure sand works much better in southern states. It just kills me when I hear of someone up here in the north who uses sand year-round and thinks they're doing their chickens a favor. If they'd at least use something else in the winter, there'd be fewer issues and their coop would be a tish warmer.

Hey everyone, sadly she ended up passing last night ): going to send her body for necropsy and see what is going on. I feel like not Mareks because my first hen did recover? Assuming mold exposure and maybe my second girl had high levels of mycotoxins in her… thank you all for all the advice I really appreciate it!

Hey everyone, sadly she ended up passing last night ): going to send her body for necropsy and see what is going on. I feel like not Mareks because my first hen did recover? Assuming mold exposure and maybe my second girl had high levels of mycotoxins in her… thank you all for all the advice I really appreciate it!
I'm sorry for your loss.

It's good that you will be having further testing. If you will, please share the finding so we may also learn something as well.

I'm sure sand works much better in southern states. It just kills me when I hear of someone up here in the north who uses sand year-round and thinks they're doing their chickens a favor. If they'd at least use something else in the winter, there'd be fewer issues and their coop would be a tish warmer.
I got my first chickens in 1983. No internet. Feed store was the best place for information, a lot of old wives tales mixed with great information. I also checked books out of the library. I thought I knew a thing or two about chickens, then I joined BYC.
I learned something new (again) today. Food falling in sand can mold, I had no idea! I thought putting sand in for my chickens was a good thing.
Young or old, I think we are all trying to do our best given what we know.

I got my first chickens in 1983. No internet. Feed store was the best place for information, a lot of old wives tales mixed with great information. I also checked books out of the library. I thought I knew a thing or two about chickens, then I joined BYC.
I learned something new (again) today. Food falling in sand can mold, I had no idea! I thought putting sand in for my chickens was a good thing.
Young or old, I think we are all trying to do our best given what we know.
Yes, this site is the best out there. Wive's tales aren't criticized, just respectfully overlooked while advising a more modern idea.

You're right that all we are trying to do is our best. I do things others may not agree with, and I may not agree with everything I read either, but in the end, we do what works best for our chickens in our own situation. ☺️

Her results came back from the necropsy. She ended up having mareks…. Really sad about it because now I have 4 dead hens, one sick and I don’t know what do to… 2 of my hens still seem healthy and happy but I really wanted to get more and now I don’t know what to do.. there’s really only one spot in my backyard as to where I can keep the coop and run and now that I know it’s Mareks and probably all over there home.. not sure how to clean and be safe about bringing new girls in.. this really sucks /:

Back
Top Bottom