Disease going around in my flock? PLEASE HELP!

Her results came back from the necropsy. She ended up having mareks…. Really sad about it because now I have 4 dead hens, one sick and I don’t know what do to… 2 of my hens still seem healthy and happy but I really wanted to get more and now I don’t know what to do.. there’s really only one spot in my backyard as to where I can keep the coop and run and now that I know it’s Mareks and probably all over there home.. not sure how to clean and be safe about bringing new girls in.. this really sucks /:
Thank you for sharing the results.

I'm so sorry to hear about the Marek's diagnosis.
You still have one that is not well, what's going on with her? Sometimes treating symptoms or just offering supportive care is all you can do when one is down. Disease like Marek's can weaken the system which allows other common things like Coccidiosis, parasites, infection, etc. to take hold and make things worse.
If nothing else, work on hydration and encourage her to eat - her normal feed is ideal (wet or dry) but when not well, see what else may interest them - often bits tomato or watermelon along with egg or sardines/canned fish is enticing. Finely chopped greens (spinach, kale, collards) sometimes are yummy too.
Inspect for lice/mites and see that the crop is emptying.

You have 2 healthy. Are they the same breed and have come from the same source/breeder. Are they vaccinated or not?

To me, Marek's is one of the more complex diseases since symptoms can be all over the place. It's heartbreaking and I can't imagine what you are feeling right now, but don't give up hope.
There are many people here on BYC that have Marek's in their flock. One member wrote and article, it's very good, read it. I'll also tag her in @microchick another member @coach723 has Marek's as well.
Hopefully both can offer suggestions and support, but don't give up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

Thank you for sharing the results.

I'm so sorry to hear about the Marek's diagnosis.
You still have one that is not well, what's going on with her? Sometimes treating symptoms or just offering supportive care is all you can do when one is down. Disease like Marek's can weaken the system which allows other common things like Coccidiosis, parasites, infection, etc. to take hold and make things worse.
If nothing else, work on hydration and encourage her to eat - her normal feed is ideal (wet or dry) but when not well, see what else may interest them - often bits tomato or watermelon along with egg or sardines/canned fish is enticing. Finely chopped greens (spinach, kale, collards) sometimes are yummy too.
Inspect for lice/mites and see that the crop is emptying.

You have 2 healthy. Are they the same breed and have come from the same source/breeder. Are they vaccinated or not?

To me, Marek's is one of the more complex diseases since symptoms can be all over the place. It's heartbreaking and I can't imagine what you are feeling right now, but don't give up hope.
There are many people here on BYC that have Marek's in their flock. One member wrote and article, it's very good, read it. I'll also tag her in @microchick another member @coach723 has Marek's as well.
Hopefully both can offer suggestions and support, but don't give up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/
No problem, I’m just glad I know what it is now.

This one was sick about a week before my current one that died. I thought she got better but she started to get lethargic again.. I’ve had her isolated in our garage for about 2 weeks now. I’m assuming she’s going to pass anytime soon, all she does is sit around and sleep. Whenever I go in I encourage her to drink water and eat and she does a little bit which is good but then just goes back to sleep. Going to try and keep her comfortable until the days she passes /:

They are different breed. One is an Easter egger, the other sliver lace Wyandotte. They are from the same breeder but I’m not sure if they’re vaccinated or not. I wanted to get more chicks this spring but now I don’t know what to do… they seem fine now but what if they pass it to my new chicks and I go through this same problem again. I just hate seeing them suffer and would like to eliminate any unnecessary suffering/culling.

Thank you for the support, I feel like it’s all my fault even though I don’t know the source of where the Mareks came from.. thank you again, I’ll definitely check that article!

It's definitely not your fault, Marek's is much more common than people realize. There are different strains and some are more virulent than others. It can travel on the wind for 3 miles, and wild birds can bring it in. I had birds for 10 years and it suddenly showed up, I never brought birds in except for day old chicks. It happens. It isn't hopeless, but it does make things different. Often after the first wave of losses (that can last a while) things will calm down and it will be less intense. You will still have higher losses than an uninfected flock, but it does become manageable. Some choose to only bring in vaccinated chicks, some choose to breed for resistance. The best thing you can do is read as much as you can, articles and studies, other peoples experiences. No two flocks, or stories, will be exactly the same. Marek's can present with different symptoms in different birds. Some breeds are more or less susceptible, some genetic lines are more or less susceptible. I've never yet had one with the common leg paralysis and splits in my flock, mine have all been occular and visceral symptoms and tumors. I have chosen to breed for resistance rather than vaccinate. That is a personal decision and neither choice, vaccinate or not, is wrong. Just depends on what works for you. I'm sorry you are dealing with it, it is heartbreaking to lose birds and know there is nothing to help them. So far I have found that my mixed breeds/hybrids have done better than the pure breeds, though I have lost some. I only have one wyandotte and one brahma left. My EE's have done better, though I have lost some. I added fayoumi's this spring, they are 33 weeks now, so far none are showing symptoms. I hatch only from non-symptomatic birds, and try to wait until they are 2 years old before hatching from them. Sometimes I do hatch from younger birds but at least a year old. Trying to avoid the genes that make them more susceptible. The article linked is very good, and their are others.
So sorry :hugs , hang in there. It will take some time to decide how you want to do things moving forward. I know how I felt when I realized I had Marek's, it was devastating, I thought I would have to quit with chickens. That hasn't been the case, and I still enjoy my birds very much.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tag, @Wyorp Rock.

@Sunnycitygarden, I am so sorry you are dealing with this horrible disease and as @coach723 said, it isn't your fault. You did nothing wrong. Marek's just happens. To this day I don't know how it got into my flock. I bought chicks from an NPIP breeder who was breeding for resistance but quickly discovered when my birds were about a year old that what constitutes resistance for one strain doesn't necessarily mean there will be resistance for another.

Marek's is simply everywhere and the majority of birds in America have been exposed to it.

I won't repeat the excellent advice Coach gave you. I had one bird present with the 'scissor legs' symptoms. The rest with the visceral tumors (very fast appearing and growing like a turbo cancer) and the ocular Marek's Disease.

Given that you are dealing with a virus that can travel 3-5 miles on the air and wild birds can carry it, where your coop is in regards to your property is a moot point. As I was told by a member here on BYC when my outbreak was in it's infancy, things will get worse, then they will get better. And they do.

I wrote an article about my experiences with the disease:

If you have any questions remember we are all in this together and you aren't alone so ask away.

Once again, I am so sorry. Marek's is the destroyer of dreams as well as flocks.:hugs

It's definitely not your fault, Marek's is much more common than people realize. There are different strains and some are more virulent than others. It can travel on the wind for 3 miles, and wild birds can bring it in. I had birds for 10 years and it suddenly showed up, I never brought birds in except for day old chicks. It happens. It isn't hopeless, but it does make things different. Often after the first wave of losses (that can last a while) things will calm down and it will be less intense. You will still have higher losses than an uninfected flock, but it does become manageable. Some choose to only bring in vaccinated chicks, some choose to breed for resistance. The best thing you can do is read as much as you can, articles and studies, other peoples experiences. No two flocks, or stories, will be exactly the same. Marek's can present with different symptoms in different birds. Some breeds are more or less susceptible, some genetic lines are more or less susceptible. I've never yet had one with the common leg paralysis and splits in my flock, mine have all been occular and visceral symptoms and tumors. I have chosen to breed for resistance rather than vaccinate. That is a personal decision and neither choice, vaccinate or not, is wrong. Just depends on what works for you. I'm sorry you are dealing with it, it is heartbreaking to lose birds and know there is nothing to help them. So far I have found that my mixed breeds/hybrids have done better than the pure breeds, though I have lost some. I only have one wyandotte and one brahma left. My EE's have done better, though I have lost some. I added fayoumi's this spring, they are 33 weeks now, so far none are showing symptoms. I hatch only from non-symptomatic birds, and try to wait until they are 2 years old before hatching from them. Sometimes I do hatch from younger birds but at least a year old. Trying to avoid the genes that make them more susceptible. The article linked is very good, and their are others.
So sorry :hugs , hang in there. It will take some time to decide how you want to do things moving forward. I know how I felt when I realized I had Marek's, it was devastating, I thought I would have to quit with chickens. That hasn't been the case, and I still enjoy my birds very much.
Thank you so much for this 🫶🏻 I really appreciate the support and advice. So sorry for your loss too. I really hate Marek’s… our girls don’t deserve this or anything unnecessary to happen to them.

Thank you for the tag, @Wyorp Rock.

@Sunnycitygarden, I am so sorry you are dealing with this horrible disease and as @coach723 said, it isn't your fault. You did nothing wrong. Marek's just happens. To this day I don't know how it got into my flock. I bought chicks from an NPIP breeder who was breeding for resistance but quickly discovered when my birds were about a year old that what constitutes resistance for one strain doesn't necessarily mean there will be resistance for another.

Marek's is simply everywhere and the majority of birds in America have been exposed to it.

I won't repeat the excellent advice Coach gave you. I had one bird present with the 'scissor legs' symptoms. The rest with the visceral tumors (very fast appearing and growing like a turbo cancer) and the ocular Marek's Disease.

Given that you are dealing with a virus that can travel 3-5 miles on the air and wild birds can carry it, where your coop is in regards to your property is a moot point. As I was told by a member here on BYC when my outbreak was in it's infancy, things will get worse, then they will get better. And they do.

I wrote an article about my experiences with the disease:

If you have any questions remember we are all in this together and you aren't alone so ask away.

Once again, I am so sorry. Marek's is the destroyer of dreams as well as flocks.:hugs
Thank you as well. I did your article and it helped me a lot I think to understand this disease better and that it kind of can just happen, which sucks but I guess that’s what happens when it comes to farm animals. I’m still new to having chickens and I love animals so much it’s going to be so hard to cull the remaining flock and start over.

I really hate Marek’s :(

Some of your birds may survive, some may never show symptoms. Those are the ones to hatch from. Time will tell. Some people lose most of their flock, some will lose only some. Sadly it's often the favorites or most loved. It's really hard to predict, you just have to see what happens. Good luck and best wishes going forward. Just know, there is light at the end of the tunnel, painful as the journey is.

Thank you as well. I did your article and it helped me a lot I think to understand this disease better and that it kind of can just happen, which sucks but I guess that’s what happens when it comes to farm animals. I’m still new to having chickens and I love animals so much it’s going to be so hard to cull the remaining flock and start over.

I really hate Marek’s :(
Oh I hear you. I hate it with a passion. Even though I haven't had a Marek's related death in almost 6 years, at least nothing I can point a finger at and say, oh-oh, it's back, I instinctively know it's still around, just waiting.

The Amish couple we bought our farm from told us one day, 'If you have live stock, you are going to have dead stock'. I knew what he was talking about when Marek's hit my flock.

My flock is both live stock and pets. It doesn't make it any easier when one of the layers or roosters fell over dead unexpectedly being they were all birds that I hand raised and gentled and therefore a bit of a 'pet' as well as egg producer. That line is hard to walk sometimes.

There really isn't much you can do except hang on for dear life and wait for it to run it's course. And it will run it's course. Cherish the ones that survive because they will be your truly resistant birds.

And like I said, we're here if you need help with questions. Anyone who has dealt with MD knows what you are going through, the pain, the heartache and yes guilt even though you have done nothing to cause this to happen you just hate it and feel so bad that you can't protect them from this hidden killer.

Pray for the day that they find a true vaccination for all herpes diseases because when they do, MD will no longer exist.

Oh I hear you. I hate it with a passion. Even though I haven't had a Marek's related death in almost 6 years, at least nothing I can point a finger at and say, oh-oh, it's back, I instinctively know it's still around, just waiting.

The Amish couple we bought our farm from told us one day, 'If you have live stock, you are going to have dead stock'. I knew what he was talking about when Marek's hit my flock.

My flock is both live stock and pets. It doesn't make it any easier when one of the layers or roosters fell over dead unexpectedly being they were all birds that I hand raised and gentled and therefore a bit of a 'pet' as well as egg producer. That line is hard to walk sometimes.

There really isn't much you can do except hang on for dear life and wait for it to run it's course. And it will run it's course. Cherish the ones that survive because they will be your truly resistant birds.

And like I said, we're here if you need help with questions. Anyone who has dealt with MD knows what you are going through, the pain, the heartache and yes guilt even though you have done nothing to cause this to happen you just hate it and feel so bad that you can't protect them from this hidden killer.

Pray for the day that they find a true vaccination for all herpes diseases because when they do, MD will no longer exist.
Thanks again!! I really hope one day there is a vaccine.

Do you think I should keep my girls that aren’t showing any symptoms, deep clean the coop and introduce new vaccinated chicks when they’re old enough? Or should I cull my 2 remaining girls and start over?

Thanks again!! I really hope one day there is a vaccine.

Do you think I should keep my girls that aren’t showing any symptoms, deep clean the coop and introduce new vaccinated chicks when they’re old enough? Or should I cull my 2 remaining girls and start over?
Marek’s can live in the soil for years. Even if you were to cull your remaining birds you would have to wait a long time to be sure the Marek’s virus was truely gone from your property. Even if you do who is to say a neighbor a mile down the road who has Marek’s doesn’t reinfect your new flock.

There are many of us here that has Marek’s in our flock and it is a very heartbreaking disease. I read posts of people who discover they have it and my heart breaks because I know exactly what they are going through.

Back
Top Bottom