Disease going through my chicks

McCormack Farms

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Northern IL
I have a clutch of about 25 chicks which are about 5 weeks old. Starting about 3 days ago, though, I noticed one of my chicks start to slow down. He passed about 5 hours after I noticed his condition. I also noticed he started drooling a bit.

I have had 2 more go in the past two days now. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it could be or how to treat it?

I know it's not marek's. I vaccinated them all myself and they don't show the right symptoms either. They just slow down, drool a bit, and die within 12 hours.

I have a clutch of about 25 chicks which are about 5 weeks old. Starting about 3 days ago, though, I noticed one of my chicks start to slow down. He passed about 5 hours after I noticed his condition. I also noticed he started drooling a bit.

I have had 2 more go in the past two days now. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it could be or how to treat it?

I know it's not marek's. I vaccinated them all myself and they don't show the right symptoms either. They just slow down, drool a bit, and die within 12 hours.
Is it possible they have gotten into something they shouldn't have?

What kind of chicks? This has happened to me with broilers but never with slow-growing chickens.

It could be a particularly bad strain of coccidiosis, so I would dose with Corid just to be safe on that front, unless you are feeding medicated feed.

Theoretically it could also be blackhead, though I don't know where they would have contracted it. Blackhead often has very few symptoms.

The drooling may not be a symptom but may instead be thirst. Often when they try to drink too much water their crops "overflow" and it comes back out their beaks, especially when they are ill.

Are you sure there are no other symptoms? Fluffing in a corner? Diarrhea? Just the lethargy and the drooling and then death... I'd say most likely it is cocci but I would keep blackhead in mind as well.

Are they still inside? Or do they have access to the soil? Could wild birds have come in contact with them and transmitted something?

I hesitate to say give any drug or additive at all until more info is given. Drooling is not usually a sign of cocci, but it is a symptom of a aflatoxin poisoning or resipiratory disease. I also lost one to botulism and drooling was a symptom with that as well. Whatever this is it should be considered virulent and the information needs to come back here quickly or a Vet needs to be contacted.

Did you vaccinate them for Newcastle? Any color change in combs, swelling around the eyes?
Didn't vaccinate for newcastle, and no severe symptoms such as that.

I do notice a little nasal congestion in the rest of them, but I'm not sure if it's related. They are inside, and I'm now supplying them with triple filtered drinking water and the cleanest container they can have. I'm trying the best I can to keep whatever is going around at bay.

They started to get the sniffles, though when I received a shipment of birds that had the same condition. They probably got the congestion from them, but I'm not sure again if the congestion is related to the deaths..

Didn't vaccinate for newcastle, and no severe symptoms such as that.

I do notice a little nasal congestion in the rest of them, but I'm not sure if it's related. They are inside, and I'm now supplying them with triple filtered drinking water and the cleanest container they can have. I'm trying the best I can to keep whatever is going around at bay.

They started to get the sniffles, though when I received a shipment of birds that had the same condition. They probably got the congestion from them, but I'm not sure again if the congestion is related to the deaths..
If they were showing signs of 'colds' then yes it can be related and is probably the cause. Chickens don't get colds, the get diseases and you will need to start an antibiotic now. If you have a Tractor Supply or a farm supply store that carries medicines I would go and get Tylan 50. Normally i would say the Duramycin-10, but I think you are too late into the game for that. I will look up the dosing for you and get back.

Back
Top Bottom