Disease, illness, or just really calm?

abby_robinson

Chirping
Sep 9, 2022
Hello all, I’m overwhelmingly confused by this new pullet I recently picked up. She’s a beautiful 8 week old Easter egger in a group of 5. All seem perfectly healthy except her. She is consistently on the verge of sleep, even when eating and drinking. Any illness I look up she doesn’t match up with her very well. Note: all are vaccinated and currently on medicated crumble while in quarantine from my flock.

1. No mites or injury, beautiful full white feathers, vent is clean no poop.
2. She eats and drinks just as much as the others, she just closes her eyes and seems drowsy doing so, they have access to chick grit
3. Poops normally, solid, white cap
4. Comes out of the coop in the morning to join the others.
5. She is cooing/purring all the time and shows zero signs of pain or agitation
6. I’ve been adding electrolytes to their water to help with stress of a new coop

I’ve never had new chickens that just seemed physically healthy in every respect but super lethargic.

ANY advice is welcome. She seems like such a beautiful sweet thing, I want to help her

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

Being sleepy, I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look for lice/mites.
Consider treating for Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

Being sleepy, I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look for lice/mites.
Consider treating for Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
she doesn’t show any signs of coccidiosis besides drowsy, so I’m hesitating to treat over a single vague symptom. She eats and drinks with all the other pullets, her crop is empty in the morning. Her poop has been solid with a white cap, not runny, bloody, or black

You said they are on medicated crumble, does that mean there is a coccidiostat in the crumble? You can try removing any supplement that contains thiamine as Wyorp Rock suggested because that will nullify the effect of the medication. Usually coccidiosis is treated with amprolium medication which works by inhibiting thiamine so you can’t add it as a supplement when treating, but it is important to offer post-treatment.

You said they are on medicated crumble, does that mean there is a coccidiostat in the crumble? You can try removing any supplement that contains thiamine as Wyorp Rock suggested because that will nullify the effect of the medication. Usually coccidiosis is treated with amprolium medication which works by inhibiting thiamine so you can’t add it as a supplement when treating, but it is important to offer post-treatment.
I’ve removed the electrolytes from the water and ordered Corid for their water in addition to the medicated feed. Hopefully that will help! Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom