Disease Preventative

MJJenson

Chirping
May 16, 2020
We have our first chicks and one gosling, raised together for a guard goose. We are wanting to provide healthy supplements, but are confused about probiotics and coccidiosis preventative. Please advise!

Good morning. You can feed the chicks medicated feed or you can let them build immunity naturally against coccidiosis, the choice is yours. I have never given chicks medicated feed, they go outside at 2 or 3 days and exposure to the dirt and grass takes care of it for me. My flock has never had coccidiosis overload. I give my chickens liquid vitamins in their water once a week but I've had Marek's in my flock in the past. You really shouldn't need to supplement a lot if you provide good feed and don't over do treats. Probiotics once in a while are fine too. Some people ferment the feed and that's a good way to help their guts, my flock loves it. Electrolytes are also a plus when the weather gets warm.
I don't know anything about geese but I'm sure someone will be along to answer. You can also try the Geese forum specifically. Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom