Disease

Eltun Sadigov

Hatching
Jan 12, 2018
Hello,
Our hens died within one day. The hens first became lethargic and lost appetite. Their combs darkened. Their poops became milky white. Also, they had difficulties moving around (it was not paralysis). The whole process took 3 days. And then they all died.
Does anybody know what is the disease?

It may be the HPAI strain of avian influenza. This usually kills within 48 hours, and demages vital organs.

How old/young are/were they?

Did you bring and new birds in recently?

No avian influenza has been reported in my country (Azerbaijan). However, in town mass death cases are in large numbers this winter. Interesting point is that I have one pair of ayam cemani but they have no signs of disease. The hens have died 10 days before.

They are layers above 1 year age.
I brought one pair of ayam cemani around 45 days ago. But they are still alive and healthy
The ayams may have brought something into your existing flock that caused them to become ill.

Well the same kind of illness had been reported in the town before I had brought ayams. Also after the death cases were reported

I have been keeping ayams in isolation. The have been no contact with my flock
Unless you are keeping them extremely far away and have zero winds it it almost impossible to say that there has been no contact.

This is a good read:

So sorry! True isolation is hard. More than 100 yards (meters) downwind, or indoors elsewhere. Completely different sterilized dishes, and completely different clothing. Absolutely no contact however indirect. You might have brought something bad home just going to that facility to get them!
Is there a university poultry person available? At least to have a conversation, and preferably for a necropsy?
I wouldn't replace your birds anytime soon, and without some answers.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom