Diseases passed through hatching eggs

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
There are a ton of farm stands around with eggs, some only $2 and not refrigerated. I know there are roosters in some of the pens.

Hoping someone could tell me any risks of hatching eggs from an unknown farm. I only buy chicks from reputable hatcheries but would love experimenting with new eggs!

After learning my first flock of pullets came carrying MG several years ago, I read and researched everything I could possibly find on the disease. I found much more info overseas than in the U.S., since MG (and MS) are endemic in many foreign commercial flocks. There was a long-term study by I THINK the University of Bangledesh, where it was determined that approximately 40% of eggs were infected with MG, but only IF the hen that laid the egg was symptomatic. The number was much less for hens that were symptom-free, but I can't remember the number. Also, I tried to find that study again last year since I read it years ago, and had no success.

Another disease that can be transmitted through the egg that I researched last year is Lymphoid Leukosis. I didn't find any satisfactory info, as far as the rate of vertical transmission.

But an issue that might interest you is that there have been BYC members who accidently introduced Marek's into their flock through hatching eggs. Marek's Disease is not transmitted vertically (hen to chick), so how did that happen? The virus was on the Surface of the hatching eggs!😳 Once again, I can't remember the user names of members that this happened to (im getting old), but I remember reading their posts, and there were at least 2. I looked into some studies on this topic after reading those posts, and yes it is true; that can happen. I would be equally concerned about diseases on egg shells as within eggs. To gauge the risks, I think you would have to research every chicken disease both vertically transmitted and not, learn how long the bacteria or virus remains viable outside the chicken (if not vertically transmitted), and also locate case studies for each disease. But same as buying chicks from a reliable hatchery is the safest way to keep avian diseases out of one's flock, the same is true of hatching eggs.

I only buy chicks from reputable hatcheries but would love experimenting with new eggs!
According to this link.. only HPAI, Mycoplasma gallisepticum or M. synoviae, And Newcastle.. many of which are NOT tested for in hatcheries under NPIP...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21809762/

As stated in the following link.. also the Salmonella Pollorum and Salmonella Gallinarum (fowl typhoid).. (mainly what NPIP is testing for, leading to a false sense of security about many other things)

https://www.agriculture.arkansas.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Poultry-Diseases-2020-NPIPschool.pdf

For me.. it only takes one sneeze.. to ruin a whole flocks future and Mycoplasma is my main reason for avoiding unknown sources. Too many stories on here about "chronic respiratory disease".. which I personally have YET to see from hatchery stock. No $2 egg is worth depopulating or dealing with nightmares of recurrence and outbreak instead of a healthy flock.

Risk is relative to how much you have invested and what you've got to lose. My peace of mind is not worth the risk..

I do love some hatching adventures! :wee

I do think NPIP is a good thing.
But it only gives a snapshot of the tested flock on the day the sample was tested. NPIP only tests 1-2 times a year I believe.
So really only as good as the biosecurity they keep. Nothing is 100%.
NPIP does not mean disease free. Most people are under the impression it does mean that.

I agree with everyone's comments, it does pay to ask yourself how well the person selling the eggs practice sanitary management practices to keep diseases under control if any. I use common sense when I engage on buying hatching eggs online. So far no disease related problems just my butcher knife when the time comes. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom