ChickenMamaSarah

Songster
Apr 20, 2018
Austin, Texas
DC84726F-678D-443E-BA39-216964837279.jpeg
AF33DE41-F82F-47B7-B0C8-CE1F8FF79BBB.jpeg
6D03065C-A97B-46B5-8227-F23C3F46873D.jpeg
i just found this beneath the roosting bar in my coop. It looks like some kind of a roundworm and it’s big!....maybe three inches long. Any thoughts? I’ve never actually dewormed my chicken but I have given them Diotomaceous earth in their feed intermittently over the summer and I use apple cider vinegar in their water. Any suggestions?

Agreed. That is a large roundworm. Wazine will only treat roundworms, but other wormers such as SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen are excellent to use to treat other chickens worms, such as cecal worms, capillary or thread worms, and gape worms. Tapeworms are best treated with prraziquantel. If you cannot get a fecal test through your vet, you can get a home kit to send away. Here is a link about the worm test:
https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rabbits-Turtles-Collect-Sample/dp/B000J5SOZ4

ACV and DE wont prevent nor treat worms as stated by ChickenCanoe. If one bird has worms, most likely the others have them as well. There's a good chance that they may have other types of worms that arnt normally seen in feces. Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer will take care of them as Eggcessive mentioned.

I love that I am summoned to examine the disgusting worms. :D

Yep, that's a roundorm (Ascaridia). If you want to send me some poop for a free flotation exam, PM me and I'll help you.

Fun roundworm fact: Sometimes hens will expel these worms and then suck them back up into the cloaca, where they will become incorporated into an egg.

BLECH.

I love that I am summoned to examine the disgusting worms. :D

Yep, that's a roundorm (Ascaridia). If you want to send me some poop for a free flotation exam, PM me and I'll help you.

Fun roundworm fact: Sometimes hens will expel these worms and then suck them back up into the cloaca, where they will become incorporated into an egg.

BLECH.
I believe the worm migrates from the cloaca into the oviduct where they may be enclosed in the egg, correct?

Back
Top Bottom